FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to create a layout template for a full project?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Car
How to create a layout template for a full project?
on Jul 25, 2012 at 12:13:11 pm

Hi guys,

I am in the process of editing together a series of videos that all share a common look. The videos range from 3-30 minutes and will all have a full screen layer and a picture in picture overlay, and that PIP should be masked into a circle and feathered. At times I will also have other PIP overlays, such as a full height video that slides in from the left to cover around half the screen and back out again after the video is finished, and occasionally a further PIP that will overlay into the bottom right with similar settings to the permanent primary overlay.

What is the best way to create a template for this style that will house all my masks, positioning, colour correction and so on? I figure I can use Motion to create generators for the moving sections, but it appears that Motion generators are more suited to 'quick' sections such as titles, lower thirds etc. If I create the overall look in Motion using drop zones and then publish that as a generator, I can't then edit in FCPX properly as my video/audio doesn't play.

In my somewhat amateur mind, the solution would be some kind of template that I can create directly in FCPX with replaceable drop zones for the main video and 'always on' PIP (retaining audio and video effects and corrections), and then Motion created generators to take care of the slide in/out and fade in/out extra PIPs that are called when required. Am I anywhere close?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions...

(edit - perhaps I should add, in case it's important, that my videos will be Pro Res 422 for the 'main' videos, and the additional overlays will be uncompressed 1080/24 out of an EOS 60D)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]