FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sharpening 5D MK3 footage --- Best way?? When being used along with 5D Mk2 footage also.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Gibb
Sharpening 5D MK3 footage --- Best way?? When being used along with 5D Mk2 footage also.
on Jul 24, 2012 at 12:38:09 pm

I recently shot an event with my 5D mk3 and am currently converting all to ProRes422. Once it has converted I have an issue to resolve...

I understand that 5Dmk3 footage is quite soft and has to be sharpened to really make the quality come out.

I plan to edit my footage amongst footage from another camera - a 5Dmk2 - which needs no sharpening.

Can anybody recommend any work flows/ plug-ins/ methods of doing this?... I don't know whether to just sharpen all Mk3 footage before editing, as it may become lost and rather confusing in a busy FCP sequence.

Any input would be much appreciated guys!!

Cheers

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Sharpening 5D MK3 footage --- Best way?? When being used along with 5D Mk2 footage also.
on Jul 25, 2012 at 9:23:54 am

Swings and roundabouts. Yeah, if you honestly think that the footage is soft on the kind of display it's going to be viewed on you can sharpen it with one of the filters. OTOH at least you won't be having to deal with the moiree and artefacts that the Mk2 produces.

Personally, I do that on the timeline so that it can be adjusted shot by shot rather than trying to find a setting that works over a whole bunch of shots (Unsharp Mask usually works best for me out of the sharpening filters).

Return to posts index

Ricky Gibb
Re: Sharpening 5D MK3 footage --- Best way?? When being used along with 5D Mk2 footage also.
on Jul 25, 2012 at 10:42:23 am

Ah great, cheers for the response.

I just wasn't sure if the standard sharpening in FCP was the best and perhaps and plug-in gave a more satisfactory outcome?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 25, 2012 at 11:39:28 am

Both Lyric and Noise Industries make unsharpen mask plugins that are better than FCP standard plugins. Noise industry in particular have some interesting shrpening options based on color, luma etc

I saw some vimeo footage recently showing how to remove the behind the lens diffusion which is how the Mk3 softens to avoid moire which made the mk3 just as sharp at the mk2. Main thing is to avoid the sharpening in camera. I like using Phillip Blooms formula for winding off sharpening and flattening contrast & saturation. Sometimes I use a little sharpening with theLyric to shapren my 5Dmk2 footage, particularly longer lens shots in hazy or foggy conditions

Return to posts index

Ricky Gibb
on Jul 25, 2012 at 12:34:30 pm

Thats fantastic. I've had a look at Lyric but I'll take a look at Noise Industries today!

I think I saw the same vimeo, I saw one which involved completely taking apart your camera and having a fiddle about... which I am going to avoid at all costs as, knowing me, I will wreck it.

I've been trying to go right by Philip and lower contrast and saturation but I can't find the in-camera options?? Am I being totally blind??

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jul 31, 2012 at 12:13:10 am

Some great advice from the others, but, go to Menu in the Canon, it has 7 levels of sharpness + a lot more. , it is all there , check the manual or check with Canon service , it is free.

Good luck

# Customizing a Picture Style # It is on page 61 of the Canon 5D Mark II Manual.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]