FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcp to logic via omf - stereo pair

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ajay brar
fcp to logic via omf - stereo pair
on Jul 24, 2012 at 8:01:22 am

Hi,

I've tried searching online but can't seem to find an answer for this.

I'm exporting the audio for a short video from FCP to Logic for mixing. In FCP, I have vocals (stereo pair, track 1 and 2), ambient sound 1 (stereo pair, track 3 and 4) and ambient sound 2 (mono, track 5).

After I export the OMF file, on import into Logic, I get 5 tracks as expected. However, the stereo pair in fcp does not seem to be translating to stereo in Logic. Or not at least in the same way.

In FCP, the vocals are a stereo pair across 2 tracks. Track 1 is left channel. Track 2 is right channel.

In Logic, I have 2 tracks for vocals. However, Track 1 is both left and right. Track 2 is also left and right. Both are equally left and right.

What is happening here? Is it combining the stereo vocals across 2 tracks in FCP to a single track in Logic and then duplicating this?

Or, is Logic creating a stereo track from each channel in my FCP stereo pair?

thanks

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: fcp to logic via omf - stereo pair
on Jul 24, 2012 at 7:51:47 pm

Hi ajay,

OMF can only transmit mono tracks. Whatever software you start from or go to, what you're seeing will happen. Logic will pan these mono tracks to center, so each is going to both channels of your stereo output.

The track order should be correct, meaning the first track of a stereo pair will contain the left channel and the second the right channel. You only need to create a stereo track beneath those two mono tracks, select the content of both mono tracks and drag it to the stereo track you created. You'll have your stereo material back, panned correctly. There is always this extra organization step to do when importing from OMF.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]