FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Much Can I Scale before HD 1920x1080 24p looks grainy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe zabrosky
How Much Can I Scale before HD 1920x1080 24p looks grainy
on Jul 24, 2012 at 4:13:02 am

Hi,

How Much Can I Scale in the motion tab in the viewer window before HD 1920x1080 24p looks grainy? For a stationary object and for a moving object or person?

Can I scale to 170 for example without it looking grainy on a big screen such as a silver screen at a cinema?

thanks,
joe

joseph zabrosky

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: How Much Can I Scale before HD 1920x1080 24p looks grainy
on Jul 24, 2012 at 4:37:22 am

You'll have to try it of yourself to see if it meets your standards. If it's low light footage, it certainly will have a lot more grain than something evenly lit.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 24, 2012 at 7:58:11 am

As Steve indicates, it depends on the shot. Very often it'll start to look soft rather than grainy and you have to make a judgement about how badly it stands out compared to the shots around it.

Generally, if the shots are very clean and sharp expansion will look worse than if they're a bit less than perfect.

TBH, you'll usually be ok with expanding 10% to 20% bigger than was shot but you might get away with 200% for some stuff. Shots that are fairly close on movement will tend to suffer less as the eye won't be taking in as much detail when there's motion going on.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 24, 2012 at 2:23:55 pm

[joe zabrosky] "Can I scale to 170 for example without it looking grainy on a big screen such as a silver screen at a cinema?

I'm not sure you'd need to do that. There are many projectors that work with 1920x1080 footage. You shouldn't have to do anything other than meet the normal delivery specifications.

Having written the above, it now occurs to me that it's posible you may want to go with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. It would require either letterboxing at 1920x1080 or a different horizontal & vertical resolution.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]