FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 and After Effects round trip issue.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Hannigan
Final Cut Pro 7 and After Effects round trip issue.
on Jul 23, 2012 at 8:57:24 pm

I have spent a few hours trying to figure this out. I am rendering movies from After Effects CS5.5 in ProRes to match my Final Cut Sequence. All good. When I decide to change the After Effects animation and re-render the file, I delete the old quicktime and replace it with the new one on my raid. Even though the old one is now in the trash, Final Cut insists on reconnecting to it. I can not even delete the file from the trash. I get the message "The operation can not be completed because the item "etc" is in the trash.

When I look at my revised animation in quicktime it is correct, when I drag it into Final Cut it plays the old one I just threw away. I am keeping the name of the file the same so I don't have V1 V2 etc.

The only way to fix it is to close Final Cut 7 and re open it.

I trashed preferences, fixed permissions, this is on a brand new clean install of Final Cut 7 even.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Final Cut Pro and Avid Editor

Mac Pro 6 Core (Mid 2012)
20GB Ram
Final Cut Studio 3
Avid Media Composer 5.5
Adobe CS5

Return to posts index

Brent Hannigan
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 and After Effects round trip issue.
on Jul 23, 2012 at 9:29:23 pm

Forgot to mention that when I do the exact same round trip using Motion 4 it updates Final Cut 7 perfectly with no problems. I prefer to use AE so I'd like to figure this out. Thanks.

20GB Ram
Final Cut Studio 3
Avid Media Composer 5.5
Adobe CS5

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 23, 2012 at 10:06:37 pm

I re-render clips created in AE that already exist in FCP all the time, on just about every project. Here's my method:
  • Delete NOTHING concerning the bad AE clip in FCP, then quit FCP.
  • Using the Finder, trash the bad AE clip.
  • Open AE, correct the comp if necessary, save the AE project (very important!) then render using the precise same file name as before AND to the precise same folder as before.
  • When the render is done, DO NOT SAVE THE AE PROJECT! You already saved it prior to rendering, remember? Just quit AE without saving.
  • Open the FCP project. Your AE clip should already be there, ready to go.
If this doesn't work, you have other FCP issues going on.
I occasionally have those Homer Simpson "Doh!" moments when I look at the newly-rendered AE clip; it's easy to overlook a small error. By saving before I render, I simply have to repeat the process described above.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brent Hannigan
on Jul 23, 2012 at 10:30:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. This method works but is not the solution I am looking for because I do not want to have to continuously open and close FCP and AE.

The weird thing is that when I am working with Motion 4 output, FCP automatically updates the clip when i command-tab back to FCP.

I am hoping to be able to quickly make changes in AE and have it update but there's some weirdness going on that I have never seen before. For example if i use the "make offline" command and select "delete them from the disk" - nothing happens. I tried re creating this in a brand new project and the same thing happened.

Any one else seen something like this...

20GB Ram
Final Cut Studio 3
Avid Media Composer 5.5
Adobe CS5

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 23, 2012 at 10:41:11 pm

I see you also cut in Avid. Are you aware of a litany of things peculiar to FCP that some call "FCP Weirdnes"? Your inability to make offline could fall into that category. You may have to trash FCP Preferences.

I bet Avid gets weird from time to time, too. Any complicated piece of software does.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brent Hannigan
on Jul 23, 2012 at 11:00:57 pm

Yes, I am fully versed in all manner of weirdness from 7 years with FCP and 10 years with Avid but this has me really stumped. First thing I did is go the "trash preferences" route.

In a nutshell this is what I'm doing and the problem.

FCP and AE are both open.
I render an animation in AE and edit it into FCP.
I want to change the AE animation so I delete the corresponding FCP clip in the finder - it goes offline and in the trash.
I fix my AE comp and re-render with the same name as the old file (now in the trash)
I reconnect the offline clip to the "new" animation and it still shows me the one that's in the trash.

I can not empty the trash unless I exit FCP.
I do not want to have to continuously exit and re-opn these large projects to do constant revisions.

If I go to Motion 4 and render something out in the same way I can do this process no problem.

I've been using Motion for years but prefer AE now and was hoping to have an easier round trip experience, but maybe I am missing something....?

20GB Ram
Final Cut Studio 3
Avid Media Composer 5.5
Adobe CS5

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Jul 24, 2012 at 4:22:01 pm

Brent, I know exactly what you're saying. Here's fix:
1. Select the AE clip in FCP
2. Shift+D brings up the "Make Offline" dialog box
3. Select "Delete from Disk"
4. Hide FCP
5. Command+Empty Trash (Secure Empty Trash)
*This may take a few moments, but you can proceed to the next step while this is happening.
6. Render new file in AE
7. Unhide FCP and relink to new file.

Another tip: Normally empty the trash before step 1 saves some delete time.

Return to posts index

Brent Hannigan
on Jul 24, 2012 at 8:36:14 pm

Thanks John I think the command-empty trash trick was what I needed.

20GB Ram
Final Cut Studio 3
Avid Media Composer 5.5
Adobe CS5

Return to posts index

Jake Abramson
on Aug 21, 2012 at 12:35:44 am

I wanted to add to this as I found what you posted very helpful, but too many steps.

I used to be able to do a true "round trip" when I used Nucleo pro for rendering.

I figured out, instead of unlinking, deleting, rendering, and relinking the media, you can just delete it in finder and re-render. It will automatically relink in FCP.

The issue appears to be that AFX will not render over an open file. FCP will hold it as open as long as the program is running (Even if you close the project, but not the program).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]