FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 - Multi-cam edit with 3 cameras and four audio streams - workflow suggestions pls

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Frewin
FCP 7 - Multi-cam edit with 3 cameras and four audio streams - workflow suggestions pls
on Jul 22, 2012 at 9:00:10 pm

Final cut pro peeps, how would you edit the following? (apols for length, wanted to give as much b/g as poss, as it's bedtime where I am)

I have a 35 minute trisco (presenter plus three guests), that was shot on three cameras, with four mics, which needs to come down to 10 minutes in as elegant a way as possible.

I have a presenter cam, a locked off wide shot cam of all four participants, and a moving camera that filmed the three guests as they were talking.

Audio is on four channels. One guest, plus presenter, on pres cam; the other two guests on the roving cam. The 'safety cam' shot of all four, we just sync the audio on a hand-clap using its in-built (non-broadcast quality) microphone.

Multicam is obviously a useful feature, but i'm a novice with that, so don't know how to deal with the fact there are four audio channels, which are relevant to multiple cameras.

Whilst cutting, my colleagues warn me, it is possible to lose sync of sound when using the camera with no audio recording, since there is no 'in-quality' recording of sound on that stream.

What might be the most efficient workflow please?

THANKS in advance.

Return to posts index

Gert Kracht
Re: FCP 7 - Multi-cam edit with 3 cameras and four audio streams - workflow suggestions pls
on Jul 22, 2012 at 11:04:05 pm

First of all: record everything WITH sound. Don't think the sound of a camera is not good enough to sync your footage.

After you recorded everything you need to import all video footage in to FCP7 by transcoding it to ProRes422. Use the LT version if you are short on drive space.

While importing everything you can download the new version of Pluraleyes 3.0.

After you imported the video and audio. All files are in one place.

Use Pluraleyes to sync everything.

If you have four camera's: add them in PlurayEyes 3.0. It's all the same for the audio recordings. Four tracks means four audio tracks inside. You can add them manually.

Now press Sync and watch the mirracle happen on your screen (after a while).

At the end all files should be synced and now you are ready for exporting a Multicam XML via EXPORT in PlurayEyes.

Import the XML inside Final Cut Pro 7.0 and start editing.

Good luck,

Gert

Return to posts index

Jonathan Frewin
Re: FCP 7 - Multi-cam edit with 3 cameras and four audio streams - workflow suggestions pls
on Jul 23, 2012 at 10:21:54 pm

Thanks Gert - that software sounds really useful and I will definitely try it when I next have multicam stuff where I've started and stopped at different times on different cameras; it sounds AMAZING!

But actually in this case, it is the editing that I think may be tricky; lining up the handclap at the start, given all three cameras were running contiguously, was no problem, and with all four audio channels playing, I can hear sound in sync with pictures on all three video channels.

But for anyone who's interested, here is a simple multicam feature workflow suggested by a colleague, that I think will help with the other aspect of this issue:

You can have the 4 audio tracks and use multicam to cut pictures only. You can rough cut the interview on all tracks, then
1. Cut the pictures
2. Cut the mics not being used. You may have to cross-fade.
The alternative is to line up the 4 v & a tracks and cut holes in them.

(Multicam is great for the uninitiated; I just need to work out how to make sure it doesn't try and edit all the audio as I go along. Presumably just by unLinking the audio tracks from the video before I do the rough vision mix using the Apple key + 1, 2 or 3.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]