FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing DVC Pro HD footage using Firewire

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Smith
Capturing DVC Pro HD footage using Firewire
on Jul 21, 2012 at 5:57:32 pm

Capturing DVC Pro HD footage into FCP using firewire 400. When trying to capture to external drive (500 GB G drive) using firewire 800 between drive and Mac Book Pro OS 10.4, continually receive dropped frames. This problem disappears for the most part when capturing right to internal hard drive but there isn't a lot of memory available. Is it suggested to capture the HD footage to the internal drive to avoid dropped frames? Or when I see the term "daisy chain", does this mean to from deck to external hard drive 400-800 and then from external drive 800 to 800 port on Mac? Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Capturing DVC Pro HD footage using Firewire
on Jul 21, 2012 at 6:32:43 pm

I've never actually SEEN a dropped frame in my work product, ever, after disabling the automatic capture abort dialogue.

Return to posts index

Andrew Smith
on Jul 21, 2012 at 6:39:54 pm

Correct, removing the abort capture does prevent capture from ending, but usually I see the dropped frame in the form of a "video hit" then and the video ends before the audio at the end of the clip.

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Jul 22, 2012 at 1:33:22 am

If you turn off 'abort capture' you will get dropped frames in your clip.

This can be seen by selecting the captured clip and going

"Tools > Long Frames > mark"

This will put markers anywhere there is a dropped frame. If everything is OK there will only be 1 marker right at the very start. Any more than 1 then there is a problem.

Also remember when capturing DVCProHD via Firewire you are actually capturing @ 60 frames per second which is the natural framerate. You then need to use the built in framerate converter in FCP.

Return to posts index

Andrew Smith
on Jul 22, 2012 at 1:50:01 pm

Thanks, Baz. I will use that tool to see if frames were dropped. It seems to only happen when trying to use a firewire capture form DVCProHD deck to an external drive. I'll stick to the internal drive for now. Also, we are actually shooting 1080 60i and that is our intended framerate for editing, so I don't believe we need to use the frame rate converter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]