FORUMS: list search recent posts

interlace artifacts after Video Capture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Smith
interlace artifacts after Video Capture
on Jul 19, 2012 at 10:58:28 pm

I'm finally getting around to digitizing all my old VHS stuff but I'm running into an issue with interlacing artifacts after I import of FCP7 or uprez in Compressor.

At first I tried to Log and Capture in FCP7 but had some problems getting a signal. I ended up capturing to Blackmagic Media Express because I have a Studio 2 Decklink card. I captured to ProRes with the same settings at the VHS source. When I play back captured clips in the BM Media Express player it looks great. No interlacing artifacts at all.

But when I import to FCP7 and playback; there are interlace artifacts all over the place.

I'm not sure what the problem is. The field dominance seems consistent.

I will confess I don't have a lot of experience working with interlaced footage so it's very likely I might be missing something very basic.

Update: I've found going frame by frame the pattern goes like this: 3 clean frames, 2 frames with horizontal lines on edges in the image, repeat: During playback the interlacing is very noticeable too - but as I said, not at all in Media Experss.

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: interlace artifacts after Video Capture
on Jul 19, 2012 at 11:55:44 pm

It sounds like these old VHS tapes were film transfers and they have 3:2 pulldown in them. Do you intend to edit them? If so, you'll want to remove the pulldown prior to editing. You can do a reverse telecine on individual clips in Cinema Tools

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jul 20, 2012 at 12:50:29 am

Thanks for the response.

The test clip in question was a store bought Universal feature film. So reverse telecine would be possible... but, I was just using it as a test.

Most of the stuff I want to shoot was shot on camcorder... I'll do a test with some of that and report back...

Update: It does it as well with stuff shot on camcorder.

I'd like to try and capture on FCP7 but I couldn't get the setting right. Any idea if I can capture with FCP and a Blackmagic Decklink Studio 2 card?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 20, 2012 at 2:46:43 pm

[David Smith] "Update: It does it as well with stuff shot on camcorder. "

How are you looking at it: on a computer monitor or a video monitor?

FCP viewers can't be trusted to judge quality. For interlaced video, you need a real monitor to properly display interlaced SD video.

A monitor's recommended for all kinds of video, actually.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jul 20, 2012 at 5:56:07 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "How are you looking at it: on a computer monitor or a video monitor?"

A computer monitor.

Basically it's nostalgic old stuff I will want to look at in the future (and I don't own a video monitor anymore)

I "de-interlaced" it and that got rid of all the horizontal line artifacts. I did that in Compressor.

But what does "de-interlacing" do? The clip I did it to still says it has a bottom field dominance. So I'm not sure why that helped.

Since I don't own a video monitor anymore. Should I convert all the camcorder stuff to 30p? (Or would actually be 29.97p?)

Like I said, I just have all these old VHS tapes and I'd like digitize them so I can do stuff with them in the future. Post to YouTube, make Quicktime files to play on the desktop, burn DVDs.. etc.

I'm not sure what the best workflow would be.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 20, 2012 at 6:07:46 pm

Um, before you go interlacing every piece of video, you might want to burn some remaining interlaced footage to a DVD and play it through a regular, standalone DVD player connected to the TV set of your choice.

By technical specification, ALL SD video is interlaced. Most common deinterlacing algorithms take an "average" of the two fields to create a single frame. They do it with varying degrees of success... and the frame is then stored as two fields, because it has to be that way for the technical specification.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]