FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro Freeze and Fans go Crazy!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Mauro
Mac Pro Freeze and Fans go Crazy!
on Jul 19, 2012 at 4:52:07 am

Hi all,

Here's one I've never seen before. I just purchased a MacPro 2x3GHx Quad w/ 16GB ram and 3TB of disc space set in a RAID.

I'm producing a ten minute animation w/ many many many layers of photoshop docs, nests inside of nests, etc... I try rendering the sequence and at some point the cooling fans kick into superdrive and the computer freezes solid. I have to hard kill the system by pressing the ON button for ten seconds to kill the machine. I give it a few seconds and restart, but the fans 'remember' their crazy speed and keep going. It's like space ship about to lift-off. So, I shut down... UNPLUG the CPU from the wall...then restart. It's then the fans reset to their nice quiet speed.

I find I have to render my animation in smaller bits...like 30seconds at a time. Once rendered, I can safely output the finished movie.

FYI - 1920x1080 ProRes HQ 29.79

Any thoughts?

Oh, and something else... sorry, I figure, while I'm here.... Sometimes a nested sequence has a problem w/ a cross dissolve. I add a simple 30frame fade up over a background of a nested sequence and during the dissolve the image renders in low quality! But here's the kicker, I take out the cross dissolve and use the OPT-W (opacity level) with two simple keyframes to fade up the nest...and it's perfect...

Thanks Cowboys and Cowgirls.

cheers

George Mauro
former ACI for FCS
may it rest in piece. :-)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Mac Pro Freeze and Fans go Crazy!
on Jul 19, 2012 at 2:20:37 pm

I hate to say it, but nesting sequences has never worked as well as Apple intended. It's just a bad job on Apple's part. It happens with complex software.

I'd recommend exporting a nested sequence as a quicktime movie, importing it and using it in your main sequence.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

George Mauro
on Jul 19, 2012 at 2:39:35 pm

Thank you Dave. I did start doing that very thing. Some of the nests are very different in size from the final sequence, so it makes sense that it drives the computer to the brink of suicide. :-)

cheers

g

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 19, 2012 at 7:48:19 pm

This is a perfect job for After Effects and Premiere Pro CS6

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

George Mauro
on Jul 19, 2012 at 9:22:30 pm

Hi Steve,

Yeah, I know... Premiere and I have had our differences in the past and I have CS6... just need to bite the bullet and start working with it again.

I'd love to use AE. I've been using it for years...but have never been able to figure out how to time my animations to a sound track without RAM rendering it every time I make a move... I'll have to look into that.

The main reason I'm using FC7 is because the people I'm working for insist on having it in this arena... I know I know...once Mt. Lion comes out all bets are off.

...sure wish someone would BUY FCS and continue making it better, but I'm sure Apple is keeping it to promote iMovieProX..ew...

Thanks Steve

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 20, 2012 at 2:15:21 am

[George Mauro] "'d love to use AE. I've been using it for years...but have never been able to figure out how to time my animations to a sound track without RAM rendering it every time I make a move..."

Here's how I do that very thing:

Turn on Caps Lock: very important -- the screen won't update, and you can scrub smoothly.

Scrub the audio to find the beginning of a move. Hit Shift plus 0-9 on the regular keyboard. You've made a marker with that number. Scrub again to find the end of the move. Hit Shift plus a different number on the regular keyboard... and you've made another numbered marker.

You now have two markers at the top of the comp's timeline and you can easily jump between them by hitting the marker number's corresponding key on the regular keyboard. Very handy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

George Mauro
on Jul 20, 2012 at 3:30:10 am

Thank you Dave. It's actually the Command key... I'm on a Mac. :-) But thanks. I've forgotten that one little thing.

Cheers.

g

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Jul 27, 2012 at 4:27:21 pm

I see no one's commented on your fans going off at full blast and freezing your Mac Pro issue. I had the same problem with my G5. Whenever I put it to sleep that's what happens. Sounds like a jet taking off in my room before I force quit. There's actually quite a bit on other forums about the fan issue w G5's, not sure about Mac Pros though. I never did resolve my issue and have moved on, however - having a bad stick of RAM seemed to be the culprit for others. So I'd try resetting them all, or doing what you can to try to isolate a bad stick - if that's the issue. Or running the Hardware Diagnostics test which will check your RAM, though that never did anything for me.

Good luck.

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]