FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing m2t files into final cut pro 5.04

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian Fidler
importing m2t files into final cut pro 5.04
on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:11:32 pm

Hi: I did see some posts on here to use a program to convert the files, but the post was 2007, so I'm wondering if there is any other information that may be helpful so that I can use FCP on the mac. I'm just starting and have been using premiere pro for a few years - have heard great things about FCP so thought I would give it a try.

Thanks for any assistance,

Lillian

Lillian Fidler
Jillian Productions
St. John's, Newfoundland
Canada

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: importing m2t files into final cut pro 5.04
on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:36:34 pm

FCP doesn't handle .m2t files natively. You have to transcode or rewrap. We use ClipWrap

http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap/

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:46:39 pm

And since you are using FCP 5...your options are Apple Intermediate Codec and DVCPRO HD.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lillian Fidler
on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:48:51 pm

Thanks so much. Will this be the highest quality HDV? Will there be any generation loss? Would it be preferable to upgrade to a higher version of FCP? Although I've heard that some people think the older version is better? Sorry for all the questions, I'm completely new to FCP. Thanks again!

Lillian Fidler
Jillian Productions
St. John's, Newfoundland
Canada

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:55:05 pm

[Lillian Fidler] "Will this be the highest quality HDV?"

No. Apple Intermediate is lossy, and DVCPRO HD, while a good format to originate on, when transcoded to, you lose lines of resolution as it isn't full raster 1920x1080, but 1280x1080.

[Lillian Fidler] " Will there be any generation loss?"

Yes.

[Lillian Fidler] "Would it be preferable to upgrade to a higher version of FCP?"

FCP 6 and 7 to work with that format. FCP 7 better. But FINDING a copy of that? eBay only...or Craigslist. As for FCX...use that if you want. it's very different than FCP of the past.

[Lillian Fidler] "Although I've heard that some people think the older version is better?"

Count me among those who find FCP 7 better. But if you are VERY new to FCP...well, download the trial of FCP X and see if you like it. Only...it will require the Lion OS, and an Intel Mac...a newer computer. If you are running an older copy of FCP, I suspect you are on an older machine.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]