FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interview Edit Technique Needed!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Coleman
Interview Edit Technique Needed!
on Jul 18, 2012 at 4:29:13 pm

I'm editing a corporate video that was shot poorly. I need to do anything I can to quote "jazz it up a little." Aside from just using the audio track and doing something completely creative a la some nutty music video (these guys are VERY corporate) technique, could anyone please volunteer some creative way to make a boring talking head video look better.

Here is the link to the approval copy. It won't be up for long.

Jason R. Coleman
Owner/President
Extreme Measures Creative
http://www.extrememeasurescreative.com
info@extrememeasurescreative.com
615-331-5649 office
615-828-7125 mobile

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Interview Edit Technique Needed!
on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:02:28 pm

There's no B-Roll. 'Nuff said.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:12:30 pm

"There's no B-Roll. 'Nuff said."

You mean; until I CREATE it:-)

Return to posts index

Jason Coleman
on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:59:20 pm

duh...It's not my shoot (just the edit). That's part of the problem. In house shooter for the company.... now nuff said. Re-shooting anything isn't in the budget.

Jason R. Coleman
Owner/President
Extreme Measures Creative
http://www.extrememeasurescreative.com
info@extrememeasurescreative.com
615-331-5649 office
615-828-7125 mobile

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:11:15 pm

Well, this looks like the shooter expected you to morph or dissolve between the takes, like in the Michael Jackson "Black and White" video. Or if you're MY age, the example would be Godley and Creme's "Cry" music video :-)

The overall piece is a little long if you just did that one effect between your existing cuts.

Some random ideas:

You could put each clip on one face of a spinning box, but that's a little "disco" for my taste, and the material.

The free plug-in for cover-flux or cover-flow would let you put each clip on a moving plane of video. That's a little better, maybe.

If this was my project, I think what I would do is, shoot a POV hand-held walk-thru of one of the facilities that belongs to this group, a combination of moving shots and static "plate" shots that show walls, desks, papers, pictures on walls, - any kind of angled flat plane surfaces, in different relative sizes. Then map each clip to one of those surfaces so the overall effect is like walking thru a gallery where images come to life and converse with the viewer.

A cheaper version of this idea for even more time and money-limited circumstances, would be to map these clips to a yearbook, alternating with stills of members or whatever they have on hand. Physical page turns would look best, but DVE page curls will work in a pinch.

Back in the old days, I used a 3D animation app to construct the book and a page turn, which I was able to loop as many times as needed to a match-frame.

Apple Motion has some timeline templates that fly you along a timeline. Start from that template, put the clips on individual planes along that timeline, and add photoshopped objects or stock shots that identify some key milestones in between the image planes of the talkers.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 18, 2012 at 9:22:14 pm

Do report back on what you ended up doing, I'm curious now.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Jul 19, 2012 at 8:32:19 am

i find it ironic that they want a video promoting their leadership, but have shown absolutely none in the creation of the video!

Its too static, its too long, visually its DULL.
Why squeeze everything into a static frame thats off to the side if you are not going to put anything into the rest of the screen?

If you have no budget for shooting more or any stock footage to help illustrate the video, then why not use animated typography to simply re-inforce the words being spoken? There is a great example that could be used for inspiration here...

Just because they are very corporate, doesn't mean the message has to be delivered flat and boring!

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]