FORUMS: list search recent posts

RedCode & Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonothan Whatley
RedCode & Final Cut
on Jul 18, 2012 at 2:44:37 am

I'm sure that I'll have to use ProRes when importing to FCP 7, but my question is what must I ensure when a client is trying to send me REDCODE footage through something like Dropbox? Is it possible?

What must I also ensure when editing it in FCP 7 aside from transcoding it to ProRes?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: RedCode & Final Cut
on Jul 18, 2012 at 2:59:33 am

They need to send you the FULL card structure. The full card offload...not part...everything. Without everything, you cannot transcode nor match back to the original.

REally? They are going to DROPBOX you RED footage? That's not going to be fun. And I'm sure they will try to just send you part of the card, and not everything. Make sure it is EVERYTHING>

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jonothan Whatley
on Jul 18, 2012 at 3:08:29 am

The client is in another state. That's the reason why we're doing it the hard way. Trust me, I prefer the direct way; from the source.

I've never dealt with REDCODE workflow. I take it that I'm tackling very large files. What are the pros and cons? What should I be aware of? Since I'm working from a long distance is there a better way than Dropbox?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 18, 2012 at 3:52:52 am

I'd have them send a hard drive at all costs. Shipping might even be faster than Dropbox.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 18, 2012 at 3:55:00 am

FedEx or UPS the drive. Dropbox is too unwieldy. I'm working on a show right now, shot in Virginia, edited in LA. We ship drives.

[Jonothan Whatley] "I've never dealt with REDCODE workflow. I take it that I'm tackling very large files. What are the pros and cons? What should I be aware of?"

That depends on a LOT of factors, like how will you be delivering...how will you be onlining/grading? What's your master deliverable? There are more workflows than I have fingers (and I have 10)

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jonothan Whatley
on Jul 18, 2012 at 4:17:56 am

I'm going to suggest delivery via hard drive. Thanks for the advice. What would be the best workflow? I'm sure I'll have to dabble with Color.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 18, 2012 at 4:46:11 am

There is no "best." There are different workflows for different delivery types. How will you be mastering and delivering? HDCAM SR? YouTube? Film out?

Now...caveat...I have only done two RED projects, and I stayed in ProRes HQ throughout. INGEST...edit...color correct in Color...output. Many people will reconnect to the RED RAW files...people will use various RED Tools to convert the files for use in FCP or Avid. SO MANY things to do...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jonothan Whatley
on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:15:39 am

Honestly, I didn't ask what the delivery will be. I will ask. HDCAM could be an option as far as a master. Something more than the hard drive, I'm sure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]