FORUMS: list search recent posts

settings for kodak easyshare .mov video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Judy
settings for kodak easyshare .mov video
on Jul 17, 2012 at 4:31:22 pm

I am trying to import/edit some old .mov video files from a Kodak EasyShare Z700 camera. The video codec from the files are:

MPEG-4 Video, μ-Law 2:1

Dimension: 640x480

audio channels: 1

I can import the movie, but two issues present themsleves:
1. movie is very choppy, not at all smooth like the original
2. clips require rendering - constantly.

I was able to work around the rendering issue by importing all the movie files I needed, exporting them with "export with Quicktime conversion," them brought the one massive file back into FCP and was able to edit the movie(s) without the need for continual rendering. The choppy playback remains.

I have tried multiple sequence settings, but nothing seems to do the trick. Can someone tell me exactly what settings will work to maintain playback quality?

thanks

JJ

JCJudy

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: settings for kodak easyshare .mov video
on Jul 17, 2012 at 5:26:08 pm

FCP7 isn't very fond of mpeg-4 video. You'll probably want to transcode that to something for FCP friendly - like ProRes. Depending on the speed of your machine the transcode could take quite awhile.

The choppy playback is likely due to the speed of the disk drive your storing (and playing back) the file from. Are you using your internal hard drive? An external drive (connected via USB or Firewire)? The data hungry the codec you encode to is, the faster the hard drive needs to be in order to see smooth playback. The ProRes family of codecs (especially (LT) and Proxy) work well off any hard drive and maybe what you need. If you need more quality the other ProRes codecs are great, but file sizes will be much larger.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]