FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can not see shaded/unshaded grey box or grey playhead when moving objects around my timeline in select all tracks forward tool.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
Can not see shaded/unshaded grey box or grey playhead when moving objects around my timeline in select all tracks forward tool.
on Jul 17, 2012 at 8:13:45 am

This is a tough one to describe especially as I'm unsure of the terminology, please be patient. In situations when I use the select all tracks forward tool and also with the plain old select tool (but only on certain clips and not others) I have somehow lost the ability to see the grey box that appears whenever you move something on the timeline, I don't know the term for this but basically I'm talking about the boxes that portrays where objects in your timeline will end up if you release the mouse button at that second and which also changes between shaded and unshaded depending on whether you're inserting or overwriting timeline sections. Same problem with the playhead too, that is, the thick, grey playhead that shows where things will snap to if you release the mouse button at that moment.

The tracks will move around fine and the little yellowish dialogue box is showing me how many frames left or right clips are moving and continues to update depending on mouse movement. The snapping also works but it's just that I'm working blind and it's very hard (particularly with snapping) to know when I've moved clips adjacent to a snapping point or whether they're snapping elsewhere like to a marker, or playhead, or edit point etc. because there's no longer any visual reference to indicate this. The problem has occurred consistently with the select all tracks forward tool and intermittently on specific clips with all other tools, for example when I am selecting an edit point between two of these problem clips, the select tool does not display the left and right grey brackets it normally does, and the ripple tool likewise does not show the left bracket for the end of the preceding clip or the right bracket for beginning of the following clip, this means adding frames to these boundaries is a tricky process.

My first attempt to fix things was to save, quit, trash my plist, restart the computer, reset the p-ram and open the project again. As soon as I found the clips that had first presented as specifically having problems the issue occurred again (no grey boxes, selection brackets or ripple tool brackets) but then almost instantly the problem ceased and all my visual references came back. I thought it was fixed but then as soon as I used the select all tracks forward tool again the problem re-appeared permanently for every time this tool was used and also for whichever clips it had arbitrarily decided should also exhibit the problem with all other tools as well.

I don't understand why this is happening but it's having a surprisingly detrimental effect on my ability to cut precisely, any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Can not see shaded/unshaded grey box or grey playhead when moving objects around my timeline in select all tracks forward tool.
on Jul 18, 2012 at 10:39:31 pm

Post more about your setup. Mac? OS? Version of FCP? And media formats you shoot and edit.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]