FORUMS: list search recent posts

how much does Pro Res Proxy degrade image quality?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Hemingway
how much does Pro Res Proxy degrade image quality?
on Jul 15, 2012 at 4:12:00 pm

Transcoding from 7D H.264 footage, some Go Pro .mp4 and some weird Sony .mts files.
I don't see much image degradation. Bit rates are comparable. What's really going on in that transcode process? How much would I be sacrificing not going back to the raw, and re-transcoding to Pro Res for the finished piece? All I need to do is some light color correcting and effects.
Thanks,
-Alex-

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: how much does Pro Res Proxy degrade image quality?
on Jul 15, 2012 at 5:41:38 pm

It doesn't degrade the image in any visible way. Many high end workflows for broadcast TV use ProRes as a mastering format. I use it all the time. Transcode the footage to ProRes, and never revisit the originals.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 15, 2012 at 5:43:37 pm

He's Asking about prores proxy. I notice a decent quality loss, even when converting from gopro...

Return to posts index

Alexander Hemingway
on Jul 15, 2012 at 5:54:00 pm

like in sharpness? colors? does it look like offline footage? I just want to know how much exactly I'm sacrificing by staying in the Proxy transcoded from 7D H.264 originals. What formats besides go pro were you working in? Any specific links or previous posts you can share on the topic?
Thanks,
-Alex-

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 15, 2012 at 11:19:54 pm

Oh...Proxy. that's an offline codec...not meant as final. Quality really isn't important at that point, as you won't be using it for the final. I cannot give you exactness in how quality degrades, but it is grainy.

But then you never should use the orignal GoPro or Canon DSLR files for finishing either. They are HIGHLY compressed, and not suited to editing nor finishing.

I've worked on shows that mixed XDCAM and GoPro and Canon 5D...we transcoded all to ProRes proxy for offline cut, then brought in everything as ProRes 422 for finish.

Proxy is an offline quality codec.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Alexander Hemingway
on Jul 16, 2012 at 2:33:28 pm

Thanks, Shane!
Please let me know if you do run across any info on what exactly is sacrificed in image quality going from 7D H.264 to Pro Res Proxy.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 16, 2012 at 4:55:30 pm

I have never seen anyone make that comparison.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 16, 2012 at 5:47:00 pm

Why not see for yourself? try a shot with movement in it. Transcode to Proxy and 422 and HQ... then look at them on an HD monitor.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]