FORUMS: list search recent posts

Outputting from FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Crittenden
Outputting from FCP 7
on Jul 13, 2012 at 10:57:40 pm

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to output .mov files that will work with both macs and pcs.  I have attached a screen cap of the type of output I would like to do (on the left side) versus what I am currently doing.  I noticed the model on the left is quite different than mine.  Specifically under the more info section there are codecs listed which include, Photo, jpg and Timecode.  My output (right side) lists none of these.  Can you please tell me how I can achieve output like the left side, and more importantly, how I can make sure when I'm outputting clips how I can get the .mov clips to play on both macs and pcs?

Thanks for your help.

Mac Pro
Mac OS 10.7.4
Processor 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad
FCP 7.0.3

fcpoutput.png

Andy

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Outputting from FCP 7
on Jul 14, 2012 at 12:23:11 am

In order for both the Mac and PC to be able to read and play your files, the correct codec also needs to be installed. Fortunately if its for editing, most NLE will install the proper codecs.

Looking at your specs on the left, Photo JPEG is NOT an editing Codec. ProRes is a very popular codec these days. 4096x2304 is 4K. Is this what you want to work with? If it is, you need to create a 4K sequence.

Exporting is very simple in FCP if done correctly. All you have to do is Export QuickTime Movie using current settings and you're set. For further conversion, drop that file into Compressor and compress it to an h.264 which is great for web and Mac/PC compatibility.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 15, 2012 at 2:14:59 am

Just to be clear, as an addendum to what Steve said, h.264 is not a good editing codec. As Steve said, It is a great codec for uploading a file to the web or passing a review copy back to a client for review. FCP does not play well with h.264 files for editing. It has no problem creating them, but FCP 7 doesn't like to edit that format.

Editing wise FCP plays really well with ProRes. As long as that codec is installed on the PC attempting playback you should have no problems. You can download the codec from Apple's website:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_W...

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Andrew Crittenden
on Jul 17, 2012 at 9:11:20 pm

Thanks for your help... I appreciate it...

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]