FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rolling color with DSLR footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Holly Buechel
Rolling color with DSLR footage
on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:16:12 pm

Hey Everyone,
I'm trying to solve one of the drawbacks of the DSLR cameras. More specifically, I have footage that was shot in a poorly lit florescent room and the footage has this rapidly rolling color thing happening. I know it has to do with the lighting in the room but I'm wondering if there's a filter out there that I can use in FCP to fix the footage. Here's a sample of what I'm talking about: https://vimeo.com/45640734
So it's not a rapid strobe like at a concert, it's slower bands of orange-green color rolling through the footage. I saw one of the Sapphire plugins deals with flicker, but I don't think that would help here. I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Rolling color with DSLR footage
on Jul 13, 2012 at 1:37:28 am

Really hard to see colour banding/rolling with all the blocky pixelation. I suspect it was wrong shutter to lighting phase. If so it should have been visible in the LCD viewer of a DSLR.

Not really sure what might fix that as it isn't classic frame or field flicker (I think).

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 13, 2012 at 2:54:38 pm

Michael is correct. It's a shutter speed vs. lighting phase issue. That problem is related to your shutter speed that you shot at under those fluorescent lights. Assuming you're in America you'll want to stay at either a 1/60th shutter or 1/100th. In my experience those have greatly reduced or negated the problem. If you shoot at 1/50 or 1/80 or some other speed you'll likely get the brown rolling lines in your footage.

Unfortunately, there's no way to remove this in post. Re-shoting is really the only option.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Holly Buechel
on Jul 13, 2012 at 2:59:13 pm

Aw bummer. Yea, this was shot in China, so I don't know what the Hertz rate is for their electrical systems. A reshoot won't be possible so I guess I can't use the footage. I was hoping a Sapphire efftect would work, but it seems like their Flicker Remover only does frame flickering, not rolling color correction. :(

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 13, 2012 at 11:10:06 pm

China is 50 hz. Most of the world is 50hz so a combination of shooting 29.97 or 23.98 plus shutter speed will be a problem to a novice camera person. Still they should have seen this on their LCD.

It is easy to correct in camera by adjusting to a shutter speed where the flicker or strobing goes away.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]