FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP won't import mpg2 with sound

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonard Frankford
FCP won't import mpg2 with sound
on Jul 12, 2012 at 1:11:48 pm

I am trying to import several HD mpg2 files into FCP 7 and first I notice that the Quicktime player on the Mac will not play the audio track of the clips. When I import the clips into Final Cut and put them on the timeline there is no audio track. Is there some way around this? I need to edit these files. Will I have to convert them to .mov first? Thanks.

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP won't import mpg2 with sound
on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:46:04 pm

Three things come to mind right away.
  • First and foremost, never EVER attempt to edit mpeg2 video in FCP. Not ever. You need to convert it to something else. More on that in a bit.
  • Second, mpeg2 video typically has multiplexed, or muxed, audio. The audio is embedded in the video track. So there's no audio track available to QT player or FCP. You need to convert it to something else. Which leads me to....
  • The way you phrased your question: "Will I have to convert them to .mov first?" The phrasing reveals a very primitive knowledge of media containers and codecs. The extension .mov indicates a quicktime movie which is a media container. It can contain a variety of media, which can be encoded and decoded in a wide variety of ways. These various ways are known as codecs.
To get your files properly prepared for editing in FCP you'll need to convert the mpegg2's to Quicktime movies in the ProRes422 codec. There are a variety of utilities that can do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Leonard Frankford
on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:53:31 pm

I am converting them now. I recorded them originally with a Tricaster. I didn't know about the checkbox for recording an extra .mp3 file along with the mpg2 (I know now!). There is also a new upgrade to the Tricaster that will record directly to FCP-compliant .mov files. We are looking into getting that, as well as recording to a Ki-Pro recorder. Thanks for the advice.

Leonard

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:47:17 pm

FCP is working normal.

[Leonard Frankford] "Is there some way around this? I need to edit these files. Will I have to convert them to .mov first?"

Convert those files to ProRes. Your'e gonna have to learn the correct workflow for FCP if you intend to use these files. The are other NLEs that may work with your files without transcoding.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

James Kecskes
on Oct 18, 2012 at 6:30:04 pm

I just had this problem and solved it. My gear: Canon 60D, Beachtek DXA-SLR PRO. Maybe it was a flipped switch (still haven't diagnosed as I just literally solved the issue), but I had one XLR input. For some reason when I imported into FCP7 it created a stereo signal with each signal canceling the other out. Once I panned the audio in FCP is was fixed. Yet, if I play the files in Finder (Mac) they play fine. Maybe FCP screwed up?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]