FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you keep FCS media on a separate drive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mac Caudill
Can you keep FCS media on a separate drive?
on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:27:07 pm

Is it possible to keep the massive Final Cut Studio media for DVDSP, Soundtrack, etc (60+ GB of templates, themes, loops) on a separate HDD from where the applications reside?

When I do a Custom Install and select "Change Install Location" for this media I cannot select any other drive except the boot drive. I receive the message: "Final Cut Studio can't be installed on this disk. This software must be installed on the running system."

It sounds like people have done this successfully, but I must be missing something. Any advice is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Can you keep FCS media on a separate drive?
on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:40:16 pm

The applications have to remain on your boot drive. The extra media for Motion, DVDSP, Soundtrack Pro can go on an external drive.

I believe the manual covers the installation process.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mac Caudill
Re: Can you keep FCS media on a separate drive?
on Jul 11, 2012 at 10:08:35 pm

I looked over the 'Installing Your Software' instructions and it mentions selecting an alternate location in the Custom Install process. In the Change Install Location window there is a folder by each app's content where you can route to a different HDD. But the error message keeps coming up. Perhaps the location for the Content files needs a copy of OSX? I've just never had to install OSX on a scratch disc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]