FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any tips when shopping for FCS3 on ebay?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Any tips when shopping for FCS3 on ebay?
on Jul 11, 2012 at 4:01:33 pm

What's the diff between buying an academic version of FCS 3 anda "full" version? I thought the only difference was the academic version was limited to DV resolution?

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Any tips when shopping for FCS3 on ebay?
on Jul 11, 2012 at 4:36:26 pm

My tip would be avoid.
Unless you absolutely need FCS3, I'd hold off, and let the market cool down. Both the auctions and the Buy It Now listings are going for just short of what a new unit from apple goes for, and then you still have the unknown of the quality of the discs, version or ser#. Might be better to just bite the bullet and buy new from apple if you have to have it now.
When I was looking for used copy of Shake, I wasn't all that happy with the fleabay listings, and ended up with a much better deal from Amazon. You might try check there too.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 11, 2012 at 5:04:23 pm

Mark - the only difference between "academic" and "full" are the EULA's. In the academic EULA you agree to not use the software for-profit. The full version is used for commercial projects (i.e. make $$$).

When buying new, the academic version is sold only to registered academic institutions at a deeply discounted price with the EULA that says you aren't going to be cutting for-profit work on this NLE. Technologically, there is no difference between the two. Same software, same capabilities, same templates, same codecs, same import/export capabilities, etc.

As Scott said, be careful on fleabay. You don't necessarily know what you're getting (conditions of disc, serial #'s, etc.)

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2012 at 5:52:23 pm

Also there isn't any upgrade pricing for the academic versions. But ah, well, not an issue anymore.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]