FORUMS: list search recent posts

color matching question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Morgret
color matching question
on Jul 9, 2012 at 8:31:21 pm

A few years back I shot a short film with a house. We are doing some reedits on the film and wanted to add a new establishing shot of the house. It has been painted. The original color is a deep brown and the new is a light tan although the trim color is very similar to the original dark brown.

Is there a way in Final Cut Pro 7 do to a color match between the two shots? I have tried hue curve in Color and it does not do what I need.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: color matching question
on Jul 9, 2012 at 8:46:26 pm

An establishing shot implies that you go next to an interior or a much tighter shot from a different angle. I don't know how vital it would be to precisely match the colors. Coming very close to the original color may work out just fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Morgret
on Jul 9, 2012 at 10:18:22 pm

We have at least two other shots of the house in it's old brown color and one it's new the difference is extreme.
They drive up to the house, kind of see it in the background, reference the house in a line, than the wider new shot is shown, than they pull out camera gear and are shooting an interview in front of the house. You can see the dark brown house in the background a lot.
A color change is needed, if possible. The closer the match the better.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:28:07 pm

You're going to have to do a "secondary" correction. Do some research on "limit corrections" in the three-way and you'll find that you will probably be able to change the luminance only in that shade of brown. The three-way in FCP is a bit crude, personally I wouldn't even think of using it.

This is what Apple COLOR, DaVinci Resolve, and all the rest were built to do.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:37:12 pm

Apple Color, HSL key in secondaries and you might be OK. Depends on the activity in front of the house and how the edges of the key will work.

Once you pull a good HSL key you can grade just that keyed area so as Joseph notes, dropping luma levels is the main issue. You might also have to tweak saturation and general color balance as well. Hue curves are probably not useful. I would try color matching with the wheels after luma & gamma tweaking.

Return to posts index

Eric Morgret
on Jul 10, 2012 at 12:02:31 am

Thanks, I'll give those a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]