FORUMS: list search recent posts

Master File Format

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Nagle
Master File Format
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:52:11 pm

Hi,

I need to determine which file format to master my film to. I am aiming toward film festivals. In Final Cut, the files are currently 422 Prores HQ. I would appreciate if someone could point me toward some literature on the topic so that I can do some research.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Master File Format
on Jul 9, 2012 at 8:58:53 pm

I always make a master of the file in the format I worked in. So in your case, ProRes 422. I go to File, Export, Quick Time Movie. Make sure it is set to Current Settings and the Make Movie Self-Contained check box is checked.

With that file you can compress it for DVD, Blu-ray and DCP if needs be. You can also look into backing it up to tape but that becomes pricy. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:53:40 pm

Increasingly festivals are taking ProRes422. But as Steven says make your master in the current codec which is HQ and then make specific deliverables from that using Compressor to transcode.

Many festivals are taking H264. Some want mpeg2. Others HDCam and digi beta. YOu master file in HQ is useful for all those and represents no transcoding loss from the master sequence.

Return to posts index

Bryan Nagle
on Jul 10, 2012 at 2:32:51 am

Thanks. Is ProRes 422 HQ the highest quality for one to master to then?

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Jul 10, 2012 at 3:47:07 pm

Well, the highest is uncompressed/animation but you won't find any noticeable difference in quality with prores HQ, and you will will find a noticeable difference in disk space. So, just stick with Prores 422 HQ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]