FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deleting Time Machine BackUp files from Internal Raid Storage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Opie Sayner-Hassall
Deleting Time Machine BackUp files from Internal Raid Storage
on Jul 9, 2012 at 12:27:27 am

I have just discovered that Time Machine has filled up my Raid Storage drive. Obviously I tried to delete the folders from the 'Backups.backupdb', folder selected as the TM destination. But as you most probably know, this doesn't work and just wastes your time without explanation of why trashing TM backup folders won't work. (error code - 8072).

I have also read that formatting the disc is another solution to clearing the TM files, this however does not help with the clearing of select unneeded files in TM so as to leave the media being used in current projects.

Does anyone know how I can delete all my TM backups, apart from the perhaps the 2 most recent backups....I only need a couple of successful backups to feel secure and safe, not 8 months worth of the same stuff which has just clogged up my storage drive?

Opie

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Deleting Time Machine BackUp files from Internal Raid Storage
on Jul 9, 2012 at 3:58:31 am

What you need to do is create a clone of your system drive. Carbon Copy Cloner is a free download or pay for SuperDuper. Both do the same thing. After the initial clone, all you need to do is connect that drive to your system and it will backup only new files on your system. This creates a fully bootable drive in case of drive failure. That is something Timemachine cannot do.

Once you have your clone, reformat your RAID and use it for media storage.

Timemachine is great for the average consumer with little data on their computers.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Deleting Time Machine BackUp files from Internal Raid Storage
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:50:54 am

I delete timemachine backups from that folder via Finder often, but I have admin privileges on the Mac so when it prompts for the password I put that in.

Also I send it to Trash first and then empty Trash. I have not had any error codes doing it that way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]