FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting WAV Audio from 25fps to 23.98

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karen Avizur
Converting WAV Audio from 25fps to 23.98
on Jul 7, 2012 at 5:53:07 pm

tl;dr - How can you convert audio from 25fps to 23.98?

Hey guys! Need some help here! I recently edited my first feature film, and (of course) a few things went wrong. Firstly, I tried to convert everything to ProRes HQ in 23.98, but the computer couldn't handle it, so I just converted a bunch of the footage to ProRes LT until we export. I made the mistake of converting it at 24fps instead, but I don't think that's actually the issue here. We realized that the WAV audio files (for some odd reason) was recorded at PAL rates, you can see it says 25fps if you open the settings in FCP. This was realized when attempting to export the film resulted in audio being out of sync and looking for what the problem could be. I read that technically audio has a sample rate, not a frame rate, but it says the TC Rate is 25 in FCP, and that's PAL , so I do think that's our problem. Now I'm trying to convert it to 23.98 in a few different programs, but there were problems, and it can't output in .WAV anyway, so I wanted to post here and ask if there's an 'easy' way to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Converting WAV Audio from 25fps to 23.98
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:47:04 am

Audio usually doesn't have a frame rate until imported into FCP where it is stamped with the frame rate in your Easy Setup which instead of matching your work sequence must have been at 25 fps.

So delete the file from your system. Rename the original on another system. Change your Easy Setup to match your correct frame rate. Copy the renamed file to that computer and import into FCP (proper import into a bin, not drag & drop into the timeline from finder)

If you have done it correctly the frame rate reported by FCP will match the sequence and the audio should be in sync. This is a feature that is so common and problematic that thousands of posts on this forum have been generated.

There is one other possibility and that is that the file is broadcast wav and your sound post people were working at or have incorrectly flagged the file as 25fps. If this is indeed the problem, make an aif of the file in software like Audacity or Compressor (change the file name) and import into FCP after making sure your Easy setup frame rate is matching the sequence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]