FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Newbie

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Key
FCP Newbie
on Jul 7, 2012 at 5:09:09 pm

Hi Y'all,

I just received a Imac with both Final Cut and Logic Pro - Up until now I've been working on a PC and using Sony Vegas as well as Premiere and After Effects. I'm excited to learn new software but also overwhelmed by all the new stuff I'm learning, especially since CS6 just arrived too! - I was wondering what you might think are the best training/tutorial/resources to get me up to speed quickly. I'm thinking about renewing my Lynda.com membership, however any good sites or books that might help me would be appreciated.

Christopher Key

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: FCP Newbie
on Jul 7, 2012 at 5:35:30 pm

As far as FCP is concerned, 99% of it's in the manual. Pretty much all you need to understand Final Cut, or the rest of the suite, and a good place to start.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 7, 2012 at 7:52:39 pm

Check out the many FCP tutorials here on the Cow. But also look at Lynda.com, as you mentioned.

http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/applefinalcutbasics
http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/applefinalcutpro

What version of Final Cut Pro? FCP 7 and earlier are end of line...dead apps. The newer version, 10.0.4, is NOTHING like the older ones. Nothing...so if you learn the older versions of FCP, you are learning how to use dead software. Just fair warning.

And first tip I will tell you...unlike Vegas or Premiere, you cannot just drop any old Quicktime or AVI file into FCP and begin editing. It must be converted to an edit friendly codec...like ProRes. BEFORE you edit. That catches a lot of people.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher Key
on Jul 7, 2012 at 11:04:08 pm

Thanks Shane - I have Final Cut Pro X (10.0.4) so I don't want to learn something I won't be using. I know there was a big flap when the newest version came out - although I don't know the details - I assume whatever features were missing or changed - there has been an effort to make editors happy since - I'm also assuming I will not need to buy another app to convert files for editing. I know the creative community here in Hollywood loves Final Cut - I hope that's because it is better, faster or provides higher quality output

Christopher Key

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 8, 2012 at 2:02:45 am

The flap was that things were changes when they didn't need to be. And a LOT of features were left out...or made different.

Hollywood loves FCP 7. FCX...well...it might take a while, if ever. We (I'm in Hollywood) are migrating back to Avid and looking at Adobe Premiere.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 8, 2012 at 3:21:56 am

[Christopher Key] "
Thanks Shane - I have Final Cut Pro X (10.0.4)"

If your asking about X, then you should go to the X forum. You won't find a lot of help here since this is the Final Cut Pro forum. Two completely different applications.
Actually if your using X, there isn't that much to it. iMovie on steroids.

[Christopher Key] " I assume whatever features were missing or changed - there has been an effort to make editors happy since -"
Highly debatable. Walter Murch remains unconvinced. In fact there is an entire forum dedicated to the debate over the merits, or lack thereof, movie hero.

[Christopher Key] "I know the creative community here in Hollywood loves Final Cut"
Final Cut Pro is well liked. FCP X aka movie hero, not so much.
There are a bunch of advocates for X that have an iron in the fire because they sell training, plugins, etc. There are some folks that don't need all the features of FCP, and X fits their workflow. There are some fanboys that will rave about anything apple does. And then there is everybody else.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Christopher Key
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:05:37 pm

As a freelance videographer its been frustrating missing out on the various jobs over the years that required FCP - now it sounds like the newest version FCPX pretty much sucks as far as professional features - and from what I'm hearing it sounds like if I apply for some of these jobs with FCPX they'll probably laugh. Blah!

I haven't delved into the new Premiereand associated apps yet , but it does look like Adobe is really making themselves a contender. I really like Sony Vegas for it's ease of use and speed. I've never forgotten when I was helping a guy fix an edit he did in FCP - he kept saying, "wow how'd you do that so fast."

I'm getting ready to resurrect a documentary project of mine that I've been sitting on. I'll probably edit it in Premiere so I can also dump the whole edit into After Effects at the end to do some final tweaks.

Over the weekend I transferred a few clips from my PC to try doing an edit on the Mac but it doesn't even recognize these as video files (m2t) so I guess I have even more to figure out. Oh well learning is a life long pursuit anyway - Thanks for all your replies

Christopher Key

Return to posts index

Michael Roper
on Jul 7, 2012 at 7:57:35 pm

I've used Lynda.com as well. More recently I've been using MacProVideo.com. They cover FCP X and Logic as well. I also found a two-hour intro to FCP X by Don McAllister at Screencastsonline to be helpful. Screencastsonline isn't a pro software learning site, but the specific programs on FCP X are a good, brief introduction to the program. For a more comprehensive tutorial, MacProVideo or Lynda.com is more appropriate. Good Luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]