FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conforming 50p footage to 25p without Cinema Tools?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Grixti
Conforming 50p footage to 25p without Cinema Tools?
on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:06:43 pm

Hi there,

I have been searching through this forum and on the internet but am finding it surprisingly hard to find any information on how to conform my 50p footage to play back at 25 frames in my FCP project.

I have shot some footage at 50p 1280x720 and want it to play back at half speed in my FCP project. The only tutorials I have found use Cinema Tools but I can't seem to locate that on my computer so am pretty sure I don't have it.

Could someone please advise me on how to conform my 50p footage so that it plays back smoothly at half speed in FCP.

Thank you!

Dan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Conforming 50p footage to 25p without Cinema Tools?
on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:28:12 pm

If you have Final Cut Suite, you have Cinema Tools. Did you install the whole thing or just FCP?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Grixti
on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:49:03 pm

Ah, I just installed FCP 7. Is FCP suite the same as FCP studio? I don't have enough room on my computer to install the whole FCP Studio. Do you know which section of the package contains Cinema Tools? From what I can see there is Audio Content, DVD Studio Pro content and Motion Content.

Also, is there any other way to conform this footage without using Cinema Tools?

I can't believe how hard this is to achieve!

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:41:39 pm

It's incredibly difficult to drive a nail in with some linemen's pliers, but with a hammer it's much easier. Cinema Tools is what you need for this job. In Cinema Tools it's a very fast process that doesn't impact the image quality in any way. Every other option (Final Cut speed, Motion retiming, Compressor frame controls) will all add render time and result in a quality hit.

Just put your discs in, and at the appropriate screen check what you need. It's in the Installation Type area. You'd be hard pressed to miss it. Cinema Tools is about 50mb.

If you don't have space on your system drive it would probably be a good endeavor to free up some space. Macs like at least 10% of their boot drive free, less than this results in frequent beachballs.

Return to posts index

Femi Adesoji
on May 10, 2015 at 3:15:27 pm

Hello,
had same issue, what i did was to convert the files with mpeg streamclip to apple pro rez 422, then did the batch conform with cinema tools again and it worked like coldplay's magic.

cheers.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:49:38 pm

YOu can't conform without Cinema Tools...not with FCP 7 or earlier. It's on the install disk...just do a custom install of only Cinema Tools.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:46:17 pm

Compressor can conform. It's not as fast as Cinema tools; actually you'll really dislike the amount of time it will take. But it's possible:

In the video settings tab, select the codec (ProRes) and change the frame rate to 25.
In the Frame Controls tab at the bottom select Rate Conversion/Best.
Click the very bottom button that says, "so source frames play at 25"
Output at 100% of source and yer good to go.

Return to posts index

Franco Bogino
on Aug 15, 2012 at 10:36:58 pm

I'm looking to do the same thing. What is the difference between using Cinema Tools and Compressor? Is it not the case that there is no loss of quality due to the fact that 25 is an exact multiple of 50?

I am working with footage from a Canon SLR (600D), so it needs to be transcoded from h.264 to Prores using Compressor anyway.

Should I conform the clips to 25fps using Cinema Tools first or should I just convert the frame rate as part of the transcode?

Thanks

Franco

London based Avid/ FCP offline editor.
FCP Online.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 15, 2012 at 11:28:30 pm

Cinema Tools rewrites the file header to change the frame rate. You don't want to do that to the original camera file but you could do it to a copy.

Compressor creates a new file so yes you could do the speed change when you transcode.

My preference is to use Log & Transfer so I would do that to transcode and then cinema tools to change the frame rate (on a copy of the transcoded file just in case)

Return to posts index

Zohaib Kazi
on Nov 8, 2012 at 1:21:56 pm

I have shot a documentary on 1280 x 720, 50P and 25P footage, with graphics on 25P and various pictures. Sad bit is, I have edited the whole thing and now the exported product isn't as smooth as its supposed to be. What am I doing wrong? The final render is giving me glitches.

Help!

I have a deadline to meet.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 8, 2012 at 2:43:49 pm

You don't say which frame rate you used for editing. I'll guess it's 25fps.

The footage shot at 25p can't be fixed without using time-consuming techniques to double the frame rate and make smoother motion... and you write that you don't have time. So you're stuck.

But you CAN create a new 50p edit timeline. Put NOTHING in it. Copy the footage from the completed 25p edit timeline. Paste it into the new timeline. Your 50p footage's motion will now be smoother. The 25p footage's motion will stay the same. If you have animated graphics at 25p, you can remake them at 50p.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Parr
on Dec 6, 2014 at 9:40:22 am

Hi
Just some questions I hoping to get an answer for - I'm shooting with a Panasonic GH3. What is better quality, 1920x1080, 25P, 72mbps, ALL-INTRA or 1280x720, 50p, 72mbps, ALL-INTRA if the footage is to be edited at 25p speed? To go along with that, when the 50P is put on a timeline to be played at 25P does it actually just drop every other frame, or does it somehow play every frame twice and therefore look actually better than if I shot at 25P - and does it help with suppressing the motion issues inherrent with panning and a rolling shutter? Love it if I could get an answer to what are for me, burning questions please.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 8, 2014 at 11:19:40 pm

You're describing an either/or situation. One way, you get increased resolution at a lower frame rate. The other way, you get lower resolution but at a higher frame rate. Since we don't know which is more important to you, we can't offer advice.

In either case, both would have to be transcoded to ProRes 422 at log & transfer time.

50P in a 25P timeline will display every opther frame of the 50P footage. Can't address rolling the shutter issues: I've never had to deal with them.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Parr
on Dec 9, 2014 at 4:41:29 am

Thanks, Dave, appreciate the reply. It is the dropping of every other frame that I wanted confirmed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]