FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing troubles in FCP7 with Canon .mov footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nomad Fa' Sho
Editing troubles in FCP7 with Canon .mov footage
on Jul 6, 2012 at 3:24:18 am

I recently shot a film project on my Canon 60D, organized all the footage (all in .mov format) and tried starting the editing process but it has seriously been such a headache when I'm having to render every time I make a change, with the frames constantly dropping and, overall, having such slow performance.

I have a 13" Macbook Pro, with an external harddrive that stores everything so that my laptop has more space. I've permanently deleted all software/applications that I don't use (including all stock apps) and organized all other documents/photos/files etc etc into folders that I've transferred to other harddrives, making more space for better performance and editing but I'm not getting the results I want with editing in FCP.

I would just like to know if there's something I should be doing to the format of my videos before importing to FCP, what settings are best compatible with the camera I shot the footage on, if I should compress the videos, if the audio is what the problem is and how to fix it (we are doing voice-over's after the final edit, so I can afford stripping the audio if that's what I have to do), OR..... if Video Converters are truly worth their salt when converting to ProRes. I'm very new to video converters so if that's the issue then please inform me.

Thank you SO much for reading; looking forward to some answers.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Editing troubles in FCP7 with Canon .mov footage
on Jul 6, 2012 at 4:46:18 am

You need to convert the footage to ProRes before you edit in FCP. FCP doesn't work with the native .mov format the Canon DSLRs shoot...H.264. we say this daily on this forum. THis comes up ALL THE TIME.

Use MPEG STREAMCLIP...Compressor...Magic Bullet Grinder...Log and Transfer (oh, that might not work with the 60D) Convert to ProREs, THEN edit the footage.

And yes, the file sizes will get a LOT bigger.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nomad Fa' Sho
on Jul 9, 2012 at 4:54:09 pm

Shane,

Thanks for the response. Is the MPEG Streamline what converts the .mov files to ProRes? Are there any free converters for download, or is it worth the salt to purchase a good converter for the long run?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:31:57 pm

[Nomad Fa' Sho] "Is the MPEG Streamline what converts the .mov files to ProRes? Are there any free converters for download,"

MPEG STREAMCLIP. And it is free. always has been.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]