FORUMS: list search recent posts

Squashed footage from capturing MiniDV in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hamilton
Squashed footage from capturing MiniDV in FCP 7
on Jul 5, 2012 at 11:05:39 pm

Howdy!

I'm capturing miniDV footage through FCP 7's log and capture tool with capture settings at DV NTSC 48KHZ. The result is a vertically squeezed image making the subjects appear fat. Upon unchecking anamorphic in the sequence settings the image over corrects and bares a slight horizontal squeeze making the subjects appear thin. The quicktime's created in capture scratch are 853X480 when they ought to be 720X480.

How do I tell FCP 7 to stop adding pixels? I've tried everything.

In this image: the top left video is the captured video from within FCP. The bottom left is with that same video with anamorphic unchecked in sequence settings. The image to the right is the way it should look and is from the currently capturing window.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Squashed footage from capturing MiniDV in FCP 7
on Jul 6, 2012 at 12:03:13 am

Some DV cameras shoot 16:9 as 4:3 letterbox which is what seems to be displayed when you turn anamorphic off.

But you need to go back to first principals. What is your camera footage? If it is 4:3, 16:9 anamorphic or 16:9 as letterbox then you need to make sure your Easy setup is the same as the camera footage firstly and that the sequence settings are also the same.

Return to posts index

David Hamilton
on Jul 6, 2012 at 12:16:45 am

Thanks for the reply.

The footage was shot on a JVC DV5000. The 2 choices for aspect ratio were 4:3 or Letterbox. This footage was shot letterbox.

The easy set-up was... Format: NTSC, Rate: 29.97, Use: DV NTSC

The 2nd easy set-up tried was... Format: all formats, Rate: all rates, Use: Custom Setup

Neither of which worked.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 6, 2012 at 12:35:41 am

Well actually it has worked. Letterboxed is 4:3 non anamorphic, so when you have a 4:3 sequence without anamorphic ticked you should be seeing the black letterbox bars top and bottom. This is what letterbox is.

So the image on the bottom left is correct. The one on the right is stretched horizontally. So the question now is what do you want the end sequence to be?

Return to posts index

David Hamilton
on Jul 6, 2012 at 12:38:37 am

Here are the automatic sequence settings that result from dropping the unaltered and captured footage onto a new sequence. This leaves the video vertically squashed with characters appearing fat.

As in the first image, unchecking the anamorphic almost corrects it but gives me the video that is horizontally squeezed making characters appear skinny.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 6, 2012 at 12:43:16 am

The footage has the anamorphic tag incorrectly on as your Easy setup must have been on 16:9 anamorphic so the sequence isn't matching the footage. All this can be corrected but...

Again, what do you require for your sequence? Is the final to be 16:9 anamorphic or 16:9 letterbox?

Return to posts index

David Hamilton
on Jul 6, 2012 at 12:53:31 am

I just need to capture the footage from the miniDV correctly and accurately as quicktimes with the correct aspect ratio so the image is not distorted in anyway. That would mean keeping the letterbox.

I am 100% certain easy setup is correct but FCP is still capturing the miniDV's 4:3 image as anamorphic. How do I tell FCP not to capture it this way?

Back in 2005 when I shot this footage I captured into FCP 4 just fine. But now, with FCP 7 it is doing this. Even my experienced tech guy is perplexed.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 6, 2012 at 1:06:44 am

Nothing perplexing, just that the Easy setup assumes anamorphic. Either change the easy setup to 4:3 or untick the anamorphic from the captured files so they report correctly as 4:3.

All the issues are around the setting of the anamorphic flag, something that wasn't part of FCP4 becasue it assumed 4:3 not widescreen which is the norm these days.

Return to posts index

David Hamilton
on Jul 6, 2012 at 1:18:06 am

Thanks Michael I appreciate your responses.

Here is my easy setup:

As you can see the settings are correct yet the quicktimes captured are still anamorphic. I'm looking for away to capture them correctly as 4:3 quicktime files.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 6, 2012 at 1:24:39 am

yes the default expects anamorphic. You need to customise the default by going into the capture and sequence presets and changing them from 16:9 anamorphic to 4:3.

Return to posts index

David Hamilton
on Jul 6, 2012 at 2:16:13 am

Thanks again Michael.

I have tried every combination that I know of.

Here is my current capture preset editor settings:

I have tried these aspect ratio options (NTSC 4:3 and both NTSC CCIR options) and still getting the same thing:

I have kept the anamorphic box unchecked as well.

What am I missing?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 6, 2012 at 3:27:52 am

With DV it doesn't matter anyway. The file is the file is the file. Anamorphic, letterboxed, 4:3 it's all just 720x480 capture.

In your BIN, find the anamorphic column and uncheck the anamorphic. This will not change any clips already in a timeline. The anamorphic tag just tells FCP how to distort the footage in a particular timeline. This distort is added when the clip is placed. So if you want to change it after the fact you'll have to adjust the distort parameter in the motion tab. But easier to just copy and paste the attributes from a clip that was placed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]