FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't keep downstream tracks in sync when trimming

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Mark
Can't keep downstream tracks in sync when trimming
on Jul 5, 2012 at 10:33:28 pm

I do not usually edit using FCP but have recently been asked to revise two projects that were edited in FCP 7. Although done by two different people, I have encountered the same perplexing problem in both. So I'm assuming operator error, but can find no documentation to tell me what I'm doing wrong. Both projects have clips on many tracks. The problem is when I want to trim clips in a part of the sequence where several tracks are empty. I select the transition point I want to trim and see to it that all transition points of any clips overlapping the one I'm changing are also selected and set to ripple in the direction I want them to go. I then perform whichever sort of trimming function seems most appropriate -- using the trim window, dragging in the timeline, or typing in a frame number and hitting enter. What I later find is that at points much later in the timeline, clips that live on tracks that were empty in the area I was trimming have now been thrown out of sync. This makes no sense to me. Is this expected behavior from FCP 7? Should I be scouring for the next transition point on every track that is empty in the current working area until I find a clip and then make sure that point is also selected before I trim? Seems pretty cumbersome, especially when the track numbers are high. Or am I looking at a bug or some bizarre media issues? I note, for example, that in both projects I am dealing with merged and/or multi clips. In one project, some of the master audio -- recorded on a 24 track recorder -- has been mixed down prior to editing. In the other project, the director began to edit with camera audio, which is logged as having 24 fps timecode. But then an assistant merged his video with 8 track master audio that I note is logged with 30 fps timecode. Most of the camera audio clips have been replaced with the clips merged with master audio, so the timeline does mix audio using different timecode bases. But the clips play in sync. The only issue I have is with the downstream clips not staying in sync when I trim upstream. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved