FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mini DV dootage into a Prores 422 sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrià Sunyol
Mini DV dootage into a Prores 422 sequence
on Jul 5, 2012 at 7:20:31 pm

Hi guys: I've got a prores sequence in Final Cut Pro 7 with about 30 minutes of a documentary allready edited. Now i have to add some Minidv footage to edit the last part, mixing that new footage with the previous prores 422 material.

What should i do? Can i convert the MiniDv to Prores to avoid problems? Or is that impossible?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Mini DV dootage into a Prores 422 sequence
on Jul 5, 2012 at 8:25:31 pm

You should be able to just drop it on the timeline and edit. When you export the sequence out as a QuickTime movie it'll compress it to the codec you select at export.

if you plan on doing color work/graphics/compositing you may want to convert it before hand (ProRes holds up well to multiple decompressions). If so just use Compressor and transcode the footage to whatever flavor of ProRes you want/need.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Adrià Sunyol
on Jul 5, 2012 at 8:33:40 pm

Fisrt of all: Thanks a lot. First time in the famous cow and a perfect super-fast answer!

I may want to correct the color (in apple color), but maybe only from the HD footage, converted to prores. If i don't want to touch the dv clips, can i send the sequence to color and corrext de DV clips without problems?

Thanks again from Barcelona!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 5, 2012 at 10:54:17 pm

Yeah. You're not gaining any quality or added color space by going to ProRes. Your footage will only ever be as good as it was on initial capture - in this case DV. When you render out of Color it will automatically convert every clip to ProRes as it renders your color grade (assuming you've set it to do so in Preferences).

Workflow wise it's always best to work with one codec, one frame rate and as few resolutions as possible. In the real world sometimes projects just don't go that way. But as good a standard I try to convert everything to 1 standard codec (either Apple's ProRes or Avid's DNxHD). That tends to make everything run smoother - the edit, the color grade, the graphics, etc.

It sounds like you'll be alright leaving those clips as DV and going to Color. If you experience problems, then convert them to ProRes and try again.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Adrià Sunyol
on Jul 5, 2012 at 11:00:59 pm

Thanks again Ryan. I'll try to do it that way.

By the way, you are in the aknowledgments of just another lost documentary.

Adrià

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]