FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP ProRes 422 compression

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliot Beach
FCP ProRes 422 compression
on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:26:18 pm

Hi there,

I have a FCP timeline with ProRes that i need to export into the same format (Prores) but under 2GB. Currently it comes to 4GB with normal 422 on export. Is the only way get a smaller 422 file to use the (LT) type?

If not what is the best way to keep the quality but make the size smaller keeping it in prores format?

Thanks ! E

Elliot Beach @ 1911 Films
DP

Youtube.com/1911film
Vimeo.com/1911films

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
Re: FCP ProRes 422 compression
on Jul 5, 2012 at 5:48:30 pm

Prores 422 LT is your only way, but IIRC, it shouldn't give you a 2GB file. While smaller than 422, it's more than half the bitrate.
So, I'd say you can't, unless you want to reduce the frame size and I assume you don't want to do that.
You'll need to use something else to keep it below 2GB. Now, why do you need it in a 2GB size? There might be other options to achieve what you need.

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Jul 5, 2012 at 5:52:33 pm

Or you could use Prores 422 proxy, that's 30% the bitrate of prores 422. It will fit that size and you will have a quality loss.

Return to posts index

Everett Bowes
on Jul 5, 2012 at 8:39:33 pm

decrease the size of the movie? (maybe 1280 x 720 instead of 1920x1080?)

do you have to use ProRes? can you use H.246?

are you creating a final master, or a clip for review?

everett bowes

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 5, 2012 at 9:11:44 pm

Like everyone's alluded to, it all depends on what you need to deliver.

If it's just to view, go ahead and use ProRes Proxy. If someone is going to do further work with it, you really should re-think that 4 GB limit. You want to retain as much image quality as possible, and ProRes 422 will do that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Elliot Beach
on Jul 6, 2012 at 11:12:30 am

Hi thanks for the reply.

I need to send a master copy of a music video so it can be promoted on various websites/TV channels. I believe they are going to do a couple things to it (broadcast safe, add chyron/lower third, etc) so it really does have to be ProRes to keep maximum quality after they have done their business to it.

There preference is ProRes and under 2GB so I was trying to meet that request. I really want to keep maximum quality so I will try 720p and apparently it will be re-sized mostly. If it comes a little over 2GB it will just have to do as to bring it to LT and lose quality over file size seems like a waste to me.

E

Elliot Beach @ 1911 Films
DP

Youtube.com/1911film
Vimeo.com/1911films

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 6, 2012 at 2:20:45 pm

If the people receiving the video are worried about the size of one single file -- the 4GB file size limit of FAT 32 formatted storage comes to mind -- I suggest segmenting the completed file into two pieces. Then you shouldn't have to compromise image quality.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 7, 2012 at 2:33:03 pm

[Elliot Beach] "I need to send a master copy of a music video so it can be promoted on various websites/TV channels. I believe they are going to do a couple things to it (broadcast safe, add chyron/lower third, etc) so it really does have to be ProRes to keep maximum quality after they have done their business to it. There preference is ProRes and under 2GB so I was trying to meet that request."

Elliot, I recommend you talk to the people that you are delivering this to. Bumping down to 720 if they're going to scale it back up to 1080 seems foolish, just to avoid this strange 2 GB file size limit.

Frankly, for them to suggest a file size limit with ProRes is silly and totally impractical -- it's essentially the same as suggesting a program length limit.

Find out why they're hung up on 2 GB, and find out how you can get the whole piece over there at full quality so they can continue the work without unnecessary compromise. Dave's suggestion for splitting the file if necessary for transport is a great idea.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]