FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing 3:2 Pull down from 24p footage in compressor from a 29.97 timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Fanson
Removing 3:2 Pull down from 24p footage in compressor from a 29.97 timeline
on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:05:49 am

Hi,

I'm currently editing a full length feature film and the movie was shot in 24p SD. This being the first time working with 24p footage I never removed the 3:2 pull down before bringing it into final cut, making the timeline 29.97. I've read several community forums about this topic and I know it can be done after the fact. I've played around in compressor and managed to eliminate the pull down and remove the letterbox as well making it full screen. Unfortunately it seems to be taking away from some of the quality but remaining a large file. Which I need it the other way around with a lower file size and a higher quality of image. Having said that, I tried compressing with the same file settings but including the logo animations at the beginning of the film. Unfortunately its not giving me the same results. Just a squeezed look with the animation at its normal size. In conclusion, I was wondering if you knew the proper compressor settings to keep the original quality but remove the pull down and lower the file size, eliminating the squeezed look. I hope I was descriptive enough. Thank you to all who respond.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Removing 3:2 Pull down from 24p footage in compressor from a 29.97 timeline
on Jul 5, 2012 at 1:57:29 pm

What codec is the footage currently in (Animation, Uncompressed, ProRes, XDCAM, DVCPRO, h.264, etc)? What are you editing off of (firewire drive, SAN, Thunderbolt drive, etc.)?

What is the original frame size? What resolution do you want the footage to be?

There is no magic bullet — high quality and low file size. That is a constant tug of war within the codec world. So you'll have to make choices about what you want. Within FCP the best balance between high quality and low file size is using some flavor of the Apple ProRes codec. Which flavor you choose depends on what format the camera originally captured, what you plan on doing with it in post (edit, color, graphics, etc), and what's the final delivery format.

As far as frame size, inside Compressor look on the "Inspector" floating window. You'll notice a tab that looks like a square, circle, and triangle image. That's the Geometry tab. Adjust your frame size in there. If you footage was 1280x720, but you want it to be 1920x1080, adjust in there. You'll also notice the other tabs like "Frame Controls" that's where you can apply a resize filter to the footage (how much thinking it should do as it resizes footage up or down).

That should get you started...

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Scott Fanson
Re: moving 3:2 Pull down from 24p footage in compressor from a 29.97 timeline
on Jul 5, 2012 at 7:36:32 pm

Hey Ryan,
Thanks for replying! The footage is dv/dvcpro NTSC SD and is in 720x480 but is change into 853x480 because it's squeezed. I'm looking to keep it in 720x480 as it may be up converted to bluray at some point and will change the resolution anyways. I'm currently editing off of a FireWire drive as well. Which settings do you think I should do to get the best results? And how would I go about getting around the animation affecting the compression settings. Also, is there certain settings specifically that I should be doing in compressor to properly remove the 3:2 pull down. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 5, 2012 at 11:05:38 pm

So the original footage is 29.97 widescreen SD (anamorphic)? And you want to convert that to 24p widescreen SD (853x480)?

If so, just drop it into Compressor and make sure the geometry and frame controls are setup accordingly to match that and you should be good to go. If you want to upscale that footage to HD then just change the Geometry tab to appropriate HD setting (1280x720 or 1920x1080). Depending on what codec the footage is in, what codec you're transcoding to, how long the clips are and how fast your machine is the conversion may take a few minutes, a few hours, or all night.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Scott Fanson
on Jul 6, 2012 at 3:16:17 am

That sounds great! Thanks for all your help, I'll give it a shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]