FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard Disk or external Hard Disk for video editing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darius Cornean
Hard Disk or external Hard Disk for video editing?
on Jul 4, 2012 at 8:28:29 pm

Hello
I must to buy very quicly an external HDD that I wil use eather for back up but also for capturing and video editing. And I am not sure what to buy.
I need an HDD 1TB. I am thinking to buy eather an external HDD or hard drive with rack
I capture HD files and for editing I am using FINAL Cut Pro (Mac os)
What is the most important think to care when I want to buy this kind of hard drive?
Thank you

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Hard Disk or external Hard Disk for video editing?
on Jul 5, 2012 at 12:05:01 am

Speed. Capturing HD means anything from HDV to uncompressed so what you actually capture and work with determines how fast and how big your external drive needs to be.

Speed also matters to data connection type. Firewire 400, 800, esata or fibre may be required, again based on the codecs and frame rates you use.

Finally size, again dependent on the job, amount of media required and once again the specifics of codec, frame size and frame rate.

Return to posts index

Darius Cornean
on Jul 5, 2012 at 5:12:49 am

I will use apple prores LT and h.264 for codec, with 29,97 frame rate and frame size will be eather 1920 x 1080 from a DSLR CANON and also from Sony HXR-NX5 NXCAM based on the AVCHD technology. using recording frame rate AVCHD FX (24Mbps) 1920x1080/50. Do you think its better to capture on de hard drive inside the PC rather then capturing on the external hard drive? Iheard that tou can lose frames capturing with external hardrive.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 5, 2012 at 3:57:49 pm

[Darius Cornean] "I will use apple prores LT and h.264 for codec"

Convert everything to ProRes. No ifs ands or buts.

[Darius Cornean] "Do you think its better to capture on de hard drive inside the PC rather then capturing on the external hard drive?"

NEVER capture to internal drive. No ifs ands or buts.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]