FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7, scrolling in reconnect snaps to top and beach balls

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Crowell
FCP7, scrolling in reconnect snaps to top and beach balls
on Jul 4, 2012 at 5:44:31 am

Hi everybody,
I'm running FCP 7 on Lion (10.7.4). I'm having a problem where when I'm reconnecting files and I use the "search in a specific location" approach, FCP finds the file, but doesn't highlight it in the reconnect window. If I have to scroll down to it, then the scrollbar repeatedly snaps to the top, and eventually causes a beach ball.

Any thoughts? I've trashed preferences, of course. Perhaps I should try reinstalling FCS?

Thanks,
Justin

Video editor, animator, composer, producer
SarasotaTheBand.com

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
Re: FCP7, scrolling in reconnect snaps to top and beach balls
on Jul 4, 2012 at 6:30:42 am

Another nebulous reconnection issue:
I'm having some issues reconnecting files contained within a multiclip. Though they are properly reconnected in the Media Browser/library, sections of the multiclip show as unrendered on a properly set-up unlimited RT timeline. Upon double-click to open in viewer, only the current camera angle is online (all others offline). So, I right click the clip to reconnect, go to the file, highlight it, click "choose" and get the message that the "reel" attribute has changed. I can't think of why that would possibly happen. The files do reconnect, but I find it strange that I have to do this in the individual sequence after it is already connected properly in the browser.

Any thoughts on THIS?

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 4, 2012 at 1:56:46 pm

Post the format of the source material... DV? HDV? DSLR footage? or?

Then post the workflow that is causing you to reconnect in the first place... why is this needing to be done, and how you moved media (if that's the case) in the first place. Using Media manager makes a HUGE difference instead of just dragging files around on your desktop.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Jul 4, 2012 at 4:55:39 pm

It's all prores 422 LT footage. Unfortunately I couldn't use Media Manager because my drive got corrupted and had to be wiped. I was given the footage already transcoded so can't batch capture.

Anyway, this behavior doesn't happen on my other machine (which runs Snow Leopard) so something is clearly wrong.

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Jul 5, 2012 at 6:35:12 pm

Anybody ever experienced these issues before? It's really frustrating. As careful as you can be, files will still get disconnected every once in a while...

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Jul 23, 2012 at 7:53:40 am

I'm still struggling with this problem. Does anyone have any idea?!?

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 23, 2012 at 10:38:48 pm

If you can reconnect OK on your other machine, can't you just recconect there then open the project file on the machine you want to use?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Jul 24, 2012 at 8:58:10 pm

With the volume of work I do that's not really a tenable workflow. I get a lot of half-complete projects from people, and so I'm reconnecting on almost a daily basis. I'll then receive an updated project, and have to reconnect midstream.

I think there must be bugs with my install...there are some other funny behaviors going on that I've never seen in FCP before (QTRef files keep getting disconnected from their media, and multiclips lose their media frequently as well....sometimes I'll have a clip in the timeline that will show as unrendered even in unlimited RT, and even when it's gray in the render bar).

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Jul 30, 2012 at 7:20:22 pm

Tried to reinstall, didn't fix it. I can't imagine why this would be happening (I did a clean reinstall...twice!)

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Aug 1, 2012 at 6:52:45 pm

If your done an erase and reinstall of your startup disk, and it still is unstable, might have a hardware problem, and the first thing to checkout are your RAM chIps.

Current DVD:

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Aug 10, 2012 at 7:32:49 am

That's what I've assumed would be the only problem, but:
I've tested my hardware pretty heavily. Run memtest on both sticks of RAM, and even tried with only one in at a time--doesn't fix the problem for either.
I've just erased my startup disk and reinstalled FCP--problem still occurs. I'm pretty stumped on this one. Any other thoughts at all? In general I find FCP much buggier on this machine (little graphical issues, straight lines go jagged in the viewer when keyframing sometimes). This is my main machine and it's driving me bonkers!

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Rob LaRose
on Apr 2, 2013 at 10:21:23 pm

Hi Justin,

I'm experiencing this identical problem. Did you ever find a resolution?

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Apr 3, 2013 at 5:52:39 pm

Alas, not really. I have found that switching to details view in the browse popup seems to help, though. Basically, I've decided that as long as I can keep it from crashing, that's enough for me while I do the gradual switch to Premier and Avid. Good luck!

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Rob LaRose
on Apr 3, 2013 at 8:39:17 pm

I'm finding that it only seems to happen when I grab the scrollbar and move that way.. if I use the scrollwheel on a mouse, it doesn't freeze.

Also list view works, too.. interesting.

It *does* repeatedly snap the list back to the top, though... annnoying.

Thanks for responding. Misery loves company!

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Apr 3, 2013 at 10:39:36 pm

So the snapping happens to you even in Details View? I just checked, and it only happens to me in column view.

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Jonah Walker
on Mar 31, 2014 at 9:09:10 pm

Never run into this before, but it is now happening to me all the time on this machine. And it is a clean install of FCP 7 on 10.8.5. And I have trashed the Prefs, but it keeps happening. Does not happen on other machine we have, but every time I try to reconnect media on this machine it snaps to top and after a few seconds starts beach balling and locking up. Really frustrating! And yes for me it seems to only be column view. So weird.

Well we know it will never be fixed, so list view it is.

- Jonah Lee Walker

Video Editor, After Effects Artist
http://www.whaleofatale.net

Return to posts index

Pete Fausone
on Apr 8, 2014 at 2:34:54 pm

I get this also on Lion 10.7.5 and Mountain Lion 10.8.5
Seems FCP 7 is really not all that compatible with anything past Apple's best OS for Post Snow Leopard 10.6.8
I need to run newer versions of Avid so I need to go to 10.8.5 but this is a catch 22 situation if you also need FCP 7.
I look forward to the day when a truly professional Linux distribution and something like Lightworks finally rids us of the phone
company once and for all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]