FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Font setting size measurements (change size type from mm to pt)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Opie Sayner-Hassall
FCP Font setting size measurements (change size type from mm to pt)
on Jul 4, 2012 at 12:30:05 am

Howdy FCP users,

I am trying to use my companies branding guidelines in the production of multimedia projects, but the text filter font size measurements do not relate to the guides lines that have been provided to me by the marketing department.

Is it possible to change the font size attributes in the FCP text filters, from (mm) millimetres to pt (points) sizes?

How do you do this?

Another FCP frustration...

Thanks,

Opie

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: FCP Font setting size measurements (change size type from mm to pt)
on Jul 4, 2012 at 12:42:52 am

If you need a robust text tools you might do best creating the text in After Effects or Photoshop and bringing it into Final Cut. Make sure you get the frame size and pixel aspect ratio correct, otherwise the proportions will probably be wrong. That info can be found in your sequence settings.

Return to posts index

John Christie
Re: FCP Font setting size measurements (change size type from mm to pt)
on Jul 4, 2012 at 5:09:56 am

In the print world, there are 72 points per inch. So converting that to millimetres there are approximately .35 mm per point. So if somebody wants a letter to be 35 mm, that would be 100 points (if my math is right)

But that only works when you are putting ink on paper. You can't relate point size and millimetres to video as the size of the final product is directly related to the size of the playback screen. This isn't a limitation of FCP.

Ask your marketing department for a more useful guideline, like the ratio of font size to screen height. i.e.: the headline font will be 1/20th of the screen height.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]