FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 and OSX Lion Should I update?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stacey lumley
FCP 7 and OSX Lion Should I update?
on Jun 30, 2012 at 2:58:39 pm

I'm currently using an iMac 2.8Ghz intel core 2 Duo with 2 gb of ram. I'm running OS 10.6.8. and FCP 7.

Just starting editing with pro res 422 for my canon footage shot with the new xa 10. I'm having issues with 3 angles of multiclip with this file type.
I've been doing this with HDV for a number of years and as we all know that's a much smaller file type. I guess processing is my issue... I don't know.

My question: Would updating to ox X lion help me?

Return to posts index

Jessica Muth
Re: FCP 7 and OSX Lion Should I update?
on Jun 30, 2012 at 3:15:17 pm

Have you tried increasing your RAM?

Jessica Muth
Production Operations Manager
Video Labs
Rockville, MD
301-217-0000
jmuth@videolabs.net

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 30, 2012 at 3:26:52 pm

[stacey lumley] "Just starting editing with pro res 422 for my canon footage shot with the new xa 10. I'm having issues with 3 angles of multiclip with this file type.
I've been doing this with HDV for a number of years and as we all know that's a much smaller file type. I guess processing is my issue... I don't know."

The first obvious source of problems is your media storage.
Prores data rate is few folds bigger than HDV so needs faster HDs.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

stacey lumley
on Jun 30, 2012 at 3:38:06 pm

I had them on a firewire 800 drive at first. that was terrible needless to say. (works with HDV though)
I moved them to the internal drive and it's a little better but still has the hiccups.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 30, 2012 at 4:29:43 pm

Internal drive is NOT recommended for storing media. This will cause many problems in the long run.
Back to your original question, upgrading to Lion will not improve anything on your system. As mentioned above, get at least 8GB of RAM look into an external RAID (enclosure with FW800/eSATA). Other World Computing has those options for you. G-Tech is another place to look for drives.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

stacey lumley
on Jun 30, 2012 at 3:36:58 pm

not yet. i'm thinking about it.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 30, 2012 at 6:10:49 pm

I'm surprised you can turn the computer on with 2gigs. You'd need 4 just to run lion. Get some ram. I think you can get 16gigs for around $80. Max it out, whatever it holds.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 30, 2012 at 7:27:57 pm

The data rate for ProRes 422 is MUCH HIGHER than it is for HDV. Playing back three streams requires an eSATA drive at least, if not a RAID of two or more. Internal SATA that isn't the system drive would help, but again, a single drive might be able to do 2 streams. 3...might need a raid.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Jul 23, 2012 at 8:11:33 pm

Is 8GB enough RAM to edit FCP 7 on the new iMacs running Lion?

I'm planning to get the 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 8 GB RAM, and maybe later I'd add another 8GB of 3rd party RAM from OWC... But will 8GB be enough for now?

thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]