FORUMS: list search recent posts

multi-part .mov not playing back correctly

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Mullen
multi-part .mov not playing back correctly
on Jun 30, 2012 at 11:17:41 am

Hey guys . . . this is my first COW post so apologies in advance for any idiocy on my part . . .

Ive a playback issue with a .mov rendered out from Final Cut Pro.

So, I can render out a multi-part linked .mov to a FAT 32 drive from Final Cut Pro.

I end up with a bunch of files like this for instance i.e.

programme1.mov
programme1-av1
programme1-av2
programme1-av3
programme1-av4
programme1-av5

You play the .mov in quicktime and it references the data in the av# files . . . this it to get round the file size limits that come with FAT32.

Anyway, play back works fine on my old powerbook osx10.5.8 qt7.7 but is broken on my desktop machine osx10.7.4 qt10.1. It plays some of the start of the presentation but then no more . . . Im guessing that it only plays the data actually stored in the .mov file and for some reason cant play the data in the av# files.

Ive Google-ed this but no luck finding the answer.

So is this something you guys know about?
Thanks
Si

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: multi-part .mov not playing back correctly
on Jun 30, 2012 at 7:06:39 pm

The way that these are broken up make them only viewable by FCP as one solid file. No other outside app, even on a Mac, can join these files and play them as one.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Simon Mullen
Re: multi-part .mov not playing back correctly
on Jul 2, 2012 at 4:55:49 pm

Hi Shane,

thanks for getting back, its much appreciated.

First on my old powerbook osx10.5.8 the multipart .mov is played back correctly in quicktime 7.7
Also MPEG Streamclip on my powerbook, loads and plays back the multipart .mov

I also check a windows laptop running windows vista and quicktime 7.6.9 played back the muli-part .mov correctly.

I tried windows XP on a VMware virtual machine running on my mac desktop and quicktime 7.7.2 on that, played back the muli-part .mov correctly.

And in fact MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b7 running on my mac desktop osx10.7.4, loads and plays back the multipart .mov

So there is some support outside of FCP for playing back multipart .mov

Having quicktime playback these multipart .mov file's is potentially incredibly useful to me. I regularly build short film programmes of length ~1hour for festival and event screenings http://cinema-shorts.org/
The short films are typically sourced on DVD, I rip them and build and export a PAL DV programme to an external hard-drive . . . the programme is screened via a laptop connected to the hard-drive, driving a projector.

The laptop I use for this is my old powerbook which has no problem reading a mac formated hard-drive . . . but if my powerbook broke, Id probably have to borrow the nearest laptop which is bound to me a windows machine. So for safety I need to have the programe on a hard-drive that a windows machine could read and the easiest option is FAT32 and hence the need for quicktime playing back multi-part .mov

So it worried me that quicktime on my desktop machine had stopped doing this.

Anyawy . . . it looks like quicktime 7.7 on a windows machine can still do this . . . fingers crossed.

Thanks
Si

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]