FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor ac3 file for 5.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Stiles
Compressor ac3 file for 5.1
on Jun 29, 2012 at 6:07:58 pm

Hey all,

I have an odd job I have been working on for a center that has multiple rooms with six feeds and they are all routed by a Crestron unit (I'm not involved in the install or routing). I am trying to send a lighting que track over the center channel and one audio track on the left and one on the right. This seems pretty strait forward except compressor is not producing a ac3 file that completely separates these channels.

I have tried multiple different methods of going about it but making a "5.1" ac3 should work, right?
Add surround Sound > Left Channel> Add File > Center Channel > Add File > Right Channel > Add File > OK. Drag Dolby Digital Professional 5.1 preset on to it (3/2 L,C,R 448 -21db. I export it, bring it into DVDSP put it on the timeline and I either get only the center channel or all three on the left and right.

Any thought's as to why this isn't working?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Compressor ac3 file for 5.1
on Jul 1, 2012 at 2:40:34 am

ac3 is data compresssed audio. This may not work for the cue track if it is data. If it is FSK tone then you might be OK.

Also 5.1 requires six discreet audio tracks. So you might have to load dumy tracks in all six to make it encode properly. The other tip is to set dialog norm to -32 which basically turns it off and also turn all dynamic compression off. The Dolby default is for film compression. The less procesing the Dolby chip does, the better chance you will get a working split.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jul 2, 2012 at 7:44:39 pm

Ryan - also, why not try a 3.0 file? Don't use 5.1 with LFE when you're only adding 3 channels. Unless the system can only take AC3 with 5.1 channels. But I think that any system that can decode AC3 can decode AC3 with any number of channels supported.

Return to posts index

Ryan Stiles
on Jul 2, 2012 at 8:15:46 pm

After 17 variations it of course was a simple one that was over looked. It is a FSK tone. I pulled the L & R from a Laser Disc and the Buzz track from a CD. It seems as though compressor needs all of the files to be completely the same for the encode to work (L&R were 48 and Buzz was 44.1) I changed it, re-encoded it and it works perfect. I guess I had always used all channels from one source in the past, strange it wouldn't give some kind of indication that the file was not successful.

Thanks for your suggestions. I did try both of them along the way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]