FORUMS: list search recent posts

capturing with fcp 7 and ending up with -av file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
william mcLeod
capturing with fcp 7 and ending up with -av file
on Jun 29, 2012 at 5:19:40 pm

hey all,

I'm trying to archive some old hi8 and DV tapes. I'm captuiring the hi8 with a dgital8 camera, usually using non-contollable device. every so often it doesn't work and so I restart--either just fcp7 or the mac as well. (also realized when it wouldn't capture at all that I needed to reset the clock function on the camera--something you don't realize until you go into camera mode and CLOCK SET is on the screen. )

sometimes I capture the full tape, get a 26gb file (for the2 hour hi8), but then it shows as "-av" instead of ".mov". and it seems like there is no way to cajole the file into becoming a .mov. so you've wasted 2 hours. is that right? or is there something I don't know here? can I save those _av files as .mov?

my first thought was to use fcp X for this project, but for whatever reason, it does not even allow capturing as a whole tape and even my 1 hour DV tapes gave me between 100-250 clips (way way beyond just breaks for starting and stopping). I noticed that the few times I did try with fcpX,each of those hundreds of clips had metadata for the shoot time, which was helpful. is fcp7 retaining any of that from the tapes?

thanks,

b i l l
williammercermcleod.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]