FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Alpha a77 (Euro version) with PAL

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Thornquest
Sony Alpha a77 (Euro version) with PAL
on Jun 28, 2012 at 5:12:11 pm

I'm very close to buying a Sony Alpha a77 DSLR. It's used and the european version.

I'll be using FCP v10. From what I can tell, Editing using PAL instead of NTSC shouldn't be a problem, but wanted to double check and see what problems I might face before taking the $$ plunge.

I appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Thomas

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Sony Alpha a77 (Euro version) with PAL
on Jun 29, 2012 at 2:45:59 am

All is about the standard that you intend to deliver.
If you are making Web videos, no problems, but if you are doing to be broadcasted or printed in DVD or Bluray in NTSC-land, it will complicate your life.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jun 29, 2012 at 8:21:59 am

Howdy, just a little confused at this point- Pal or NTSC??? Isnt it an HD camera? So it will shoot in HD, and the only thing which is different is the fps? Which isnt a Pal or NTSC thing.... I understand you'd have to change the fps if you wanted to convert for an NTSC DVD, but you'd also have to change a whole bunch of other stuff right, so it would be a job regardless of NTSC or PAL?

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 29, 2012 at 9:19:30 am

[Thomas Morter-Laing] "So it will shoot in HD, and the only thing which is different is the fps? Which isnt a Pal or NTSC thing.... I understand you'd have to change the fps if you wanted to convert for an NTSC DVD, but you'd also have to change a whole bunch of other stuff right, so it would be a job regardless of NTSC or PAL?"
No problems with computers, but you won't be able to play nothing on a TV set (SD or HD) bought in the USA.
rafael

Return to posts index

Thomas Thornquest
on Jun 29, 2012 at 12:52:00 pm

Thank to you both for the information. Up till now, all I've ever used are cheaper hd hand held camera's and put the video's (exported from FCP as quicktime) onto Vimeo and Youtube. So, I'm not at this point really sure of what I'll need or how I'll be delivering video in the future.

I just started reading about the difference between PAL and NTSC and wanted as much info as possible before buying the camera.

I do think I'm going to pass on the used Euro A77 and purchase a new one locally (Mpls, MN) that is setup as NTSC. I fumble around enough as it is. I don't need another element adding to my confusion.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 29, 2012 at 1:09:34 pm

For whatever will be played on a computer (DVDs included). no problem.
If you shot p25 will also be easy to go to p24. You just need to conform the footage with CinemaTools.
Fast and no quality lost.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]