FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effect prores 4444, 1080, 25fps progressive render looks soft in FCP but sharp in QuickTime

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawna Talbot
After Effect prores 4444, 1080, 25fps progressive render looks soft in FCP but sharp in QuickTime
on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:24:03 pm

So I'm having some problems with trying to take a lower third render from AE to FCP. I started in the AE form which can be viewed here and it was suggested I try here as this seems more an issue with FCP than AE.

Basically I render a small lower third animation with the settings for ProRes 4444 1920x1080 25fps with RGB + Alpha channels selected. When I render into a video it looks crisp, clean, and sharp in Quicktime. Then when I put the video in FCP 7 it looks fuzzy and interlaced.

Checking the clip it now has an upper field dominance. Is there a way I can get this lower third animation into FCP without a field dominance? I've very new with AE so I have a feeling I'm just missing something small or something.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: After Effect prores 4444, 1080, 25fps progressive render looks soft in FCP but sharp in QuickTime
on Jun 27, 2012 at 9:27:00 pm

What are your sequence settings? if you have to render, that means they are different than the file you are importing. You are rendering to the sequence settings now...that changes the quality.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shawna Talbot
Re: After Effect prores 4444, 1080, 25fps progressive render looks soft in FCP but sharp in QuickTime
on Jun 27, 2012 at 9:34:22 pm

Well, the sequence is set for Apple Pro Res 422 but I couldn't find an option for that in AE. So it does require a green preview bar render.

And just for visual these are the rest of the settings:

I tried to come as close to my FCP settings as I could in AE

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 27, 2012 at 11:49:41 pm

In AE you can choose to render the ProRes4444 file with or without fields. You may have rendered from AE without fields and FCP thinks it has fields.

Check what you rendered from AE first. As your sequence is none then the lower third should be none as well. If FCP still thinks it is upper, then change the clip settings to none before you bring it into the timeline.

You don't want AE to make it as ProRes 422 as you need the alpha channel which is only available with 4444, animation codec or png.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 28, 2012 at 5:32:57 am

Beside checking the Field order:
First, export as "Strait Alpha" instead of Premultiplied. Strait Alpha is FCs favorite flavor (FC exports Strait Alpha).
Then, are you watching the composition rendered and with the canvas set at 100%?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shawna Talbot
on Jun 28, 2012 at 11:36:29 pm

[Rafael Amador] "First, export as "Strait Alpha" instead of Premultiplied. Strait Alpha is FCs favorite flavor (FC exports Strait Alpha).
Then, are you watching the composition rendered and with the canvas set at 100%?"

I tried that, but then my colors change as it's rendered.

Return to posts index

Shawna Talbot
on Jun 28, 2012 at 11:23:51 pm

[Michael Gissing] "In AE you can choose to render the ProRes4444 file with or without fields."

You can? Where is that? I didn't see the choice anywhere.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 28, 2012 at 11:58:00 pm

Shawna, Here is a pic of the render menu from a job recently sent to me. I don't use AE so this was from a graphic artist .It shows the ability to select field render settings. In the case of this job it was upper but I am sure you can select for no fields as well

Return to posts index

Shawna Talbot
on Jun 29, 2012 at 12:03:55 am

Oh! Sorry! Way too many 18 hour work days this week. I actually do have that selected as being off, yet still when I import it, the clip says it has an upper field dominance in FCP.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 29, 2012 at 6:38:47 am

FCP often guesses wrongly. Change the field dominance to none for the clips before editing into the timeline. You can do this in the FCP browser.

Return to posts index

Shawna Talbot
on Jun 30, 2012 at 4:42:58 pm

Thanks for all your help everyone! I finally got it to work! Yay! This has been a lesson in why I need to save up for some lessons in this program or at least set aside some time to play around with it more myself!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]