FORUMS: list search recent posts

Certain files get lost when Color closes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Rasmussen
Certain files get lost when Color closes
on Jun 27, 2012 at 6:11:02 pm

Hey Everybody,

I've had a strange problem with several projects which I've sent from Final Cut to Color, and I'm totally stumped. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the footage, with Color, or with the workflow that's used to prep the sequences I'm working with.

The problem is this:
I'll send a Final Cut Pro (v7.0.3) sequence to Color (v1.5.3) and work on grading the footage in Color for a while, but when I close the Color project and try to reopen the project later there are certain pieces of media for which Color has "forgotten" the In/Out timecodes for every instance in the project.

These clips are still in the right place along the timeline, and they're still connected to the correct media, but Color doesn't know what portion of each clip's source media it's supposed to be using.

When I render out my grades Color doesn't know what to do with these problematic clips, so it makes each of them just one frame long, and that one frame is always the first frame of the source media.

It's important to note very little of the media in the project does this, it's usually just one or two problematic clips per 22min sequence, but every clip affiliated with that original piece of media is affected.

Another strange twist to this puzzle is that if I send the sequence to Color, grade the media, and Render it out, and then send it back to Final Cut before Color is ever shut down, the problem don't occur and everything is fine. It's only when Color is closed and then the project reopened that this happens.

I'm not sure if it matters or not, but as far as I can tell the problematic footage has always been shot on a RED camera and converted to ProRes (HQ or 4444) in REDCINE-X before it comes to me. I don't make the media itself, so I don't have any specifics on what settings they're using. Also, this media is always created as part of a batch conversion, not individual clips that were somehow created differently, and very few if any of the other clips from those batches display this behavior.

Thanks very much to anyone who has any ideas to try or suggestions to help me solve this problem!

Brian S. Rasmussen
Final Cut Pro Engineer / Assistant Colorist
Mega Playground, NYC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]