FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 and Retina MacBook Pros

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Holmes
FCP7 and Retina MacBook Pros
on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:22:09 pm

Hi All

Having posed the question myself on WWDC day, I've been curious ever since ordering my rMBP how it would behave and look with good ol' FCP7. After receiving mine yesterday, I've finally had a chance to find out. I also tried a little 'unauthorised' testing on the full 2880x1800 resolution, courtesy of the 'Change Resolution' app from Wineskin - find it via this link:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/21/how-to-run-your-retina-display-macbook-pro-at...

For info, I have the 2.6Mhz 15" rMBP with 512Gb flash drive. The MBP came with 10.7.4. As is common with new Apple computers, YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE the OS, even one percentage build.

The short version: FCP7 looks fine on this new machine. As a former owner of a 17" MBP with a 1920x1200 display, I have mostly been using it at the 'more space' resolution offered in the new display controls (which annoyingly you can't enable in the menu bar any more) which gives this 'effective' resolution. Although not native to the display, you cannot see 'scaling' common with using lower-than-native resolutions.

It's clear that the text in FCP7 is not 'retina' - nor I am sure will it ever be. But it is as clear and readable as it ever was, at least to my eye. Although a smaller screen than the old high-res 17", I find this size more than useable, as the display is so sharp.

CAVEATS: I've seen two problems so far. 1) FCP7 crashed at one point. I have been unable to repeat it, but it was also before I updated to 7.0.3 (the original install was 7.0 from the disks and I got impatient!) so may be related to this. Problem 2) is more of an issue: FCP7 DOES NOT LIKE RESOLUTION CHANGES.

As you will note above, I have installed a small app to change resolutions on the MBP. I assume (as it seems to have no lasting effect and is easily undone in prefs) that this is not causing the problem - but I first noticed this bug when using the unsupported 2880x1800 resolution and then changing back to 'official' resolutions - however, it does appear the bug appears even when you change between supported official resolutions as well. It happens EVERY time.

Essentially, the Canvas stops playing video, and flickers between a few current frames - irrespective of where you are on the timeline. I've seen similar issues in FCP7 before that appear to be caused by external video cards - but I currently have nothing installed on the system (I'll be testing it with an MXO2 soon).

The bug can only be corrected by shutting down FCP7 and restarting it. Of course, this is not a problem if you open FCP7 and stay in the same resolution - as most will. I was changing res so I could compare them - hardly standard practice. It remains to be seen if this bug will be fixed by an OSX update - which seems possible given the newness of the rMBP - or whether it will never be solved for FCP software that will never see another update. It's not a deal breaker for me, unless it turns out to be symptomatic of larger issues - especially with the use of video devices.

As a matter of preference, I found the 'true retina' setting of 1440x900 too small for me - as I said I'm used to bigger resolutions on 17" MBPs and 27" iMacs (and cinema displays), but either of the 'more space' settings were fine for general use in FCP7 - the 'two up' window layout in 1920x1200 mode gives video windows of HD material at 49% scale.

Now for the fun bit (assuming you are still reading) - I also used the above hack to run FCP7 at 2880x1800. Although this crashed once at this res running 7.0.0, otherwise it seemed useable. Hopefully I can embed a screenshot below at full size. By creating a 'retina' layout, with a smaller viewer and big canvas, and setting the text size to 'large' in the browser (and larger sized timeline) I was able to have a 100% HD (1920x1080 prores) canvas in FCP7! As someone who mostly uses shortcuts in FCP7, I found this surprisingly useable, although the buttons were predictably tiny!

I'd add that the canvas in FCP7 doesn't (as far as I know) show full resolution in the Canvas - I believe it's half res. In addition, the footage I have is 1080i, so shows interlacing. I couldn't honestly say it looked super sharp (as the viewer does in FCPX), although it looked very nice. In addition, there was quite a bit of 'tearing' in moving video, where the screen struggled to refresh this monster resolution.

I will try to take a comparison shot of the canvas in FCP7 and X to see how the retina-ready FCPX compares in 100% playback. Incidentally, I think anyone using FCPX will be very pleased with the retina MBP....

Now for some screenshots:

First up (because I know you want it) here's the slightly absurd 2880x1800 FCP7 workspace:

Now, here's the same project at 1920x1200 resolution. I left the text size the same in FCP7 so you could see the difference in scale at play here:

Finally, here's FCP7 running at 'retina' 1440x900:

I think it's clear if you compare the menu bar to the app that there is no 'pixel doubling' going on in the text. I've also set the text scaling in the browser to the small size - otherwise if I'd left it, it would have been huge. Perfectly usable, but if anything the larger GUI text looks worse at this lower resolution. I think that's because your eye gets so used to the pin sharp elements in retina apps so quickly. There really is no going back from the retina display. It's a shame FCP7 will never be optimised for it - I expect to be using it for at least another 12 months.

I'll be carrying on testing FCP7 with my MXO2 (via thunderbolt) and the rMBP to make sure it's stable for an upcoming job. I'll report back if I have any major problems.

I'll also be installing CS6 this evening - keen to see how it looks before its retina update - but having seen FCP7 I'm not too bothered.

Let me know if I can answer any specific queries - I'll see what I can do.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Paul Jones
Re: FCP7 and Retina MacBook Pros
on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:05:59 pm

Thanks Ben for a very in-depth review.
Your results on running FCP 7 on the Retina MBP are better than I expected....
.....which leaves me more undecided what Macbook Pro buy.
My main gripe with the retina version is....

Losing firewire 800, which ALL my drives are,
Losing Ethernet
Losing the optical drive, I still have to burn DVD's for clients on most projects.
Losing the audio line in port which means buying a USB microphone
Not easy to replace the storage, RAM and battery ( because in my experience owning 4 Macbook Pros, the batteries last 3 years at best.
I know you can get the external drives and converter leads but to me it's clutter and I prefer them all to be on the laptop in the first place.
I'm still swaying toward the standard MBP but if I spec one up with a 512 SSD drive 2.7 processor and 8 meg ram it works out more expensive than the same spec retina version, including buying the external drive and converter leads !
I'm wondering if I don't get the retina version I will regret it 6 months down the line.
I'm probably looking at using Final Cut Studio for another 12 to 18 months ( if Apple let me ) then maybe jumping to Premiere Pro.

2 extra questions...
Can you monitor the FCP7 from the HDMI port ?
How did you install FCP 7 from disks under Lion ?

Any advise on my decision from anyone really appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:52:23 pm

Hi Paul

No problem.

As far as the adapter issues go - well, I guess that will bother some people more than others. I don't see a big difference between a lead, and a lead with an adapter on it. I already own one thunderbolt drive, and see the firewire ones as legacy in the next couple of years - some of them are FW400 anyway, and already require a FW400 to 800 adapter anyway! I use ethernet sometimes to connect to SAN storage, so I'll be getting a full set of adapters soon. Apple as ever is ahead of the curve here, but thunderbolt and USB3 is MUCH more useful to me than FW and ethernet - so I'll take it. I can't argue about the audio input - I own a single USB condenser mike for guide voicing, so this is not my issue, but can see it could be yours.

As far as battery goes - I had my 17" with integrated battery for 2.5 years, used it every day and never saw any serious degradation in battery life, so I don't have any big worries there. I also sold the 17" for 50% of what I paid for it - and my guess is that the resale on these retina units will be far better in 2-3 years than the standard (soon to be obsolete) MBPs. I factor this into all my Mac purchases now - and I probably spend more than most.

Having the 512Gb SSD (or flash) is seriously useful. You can see the benefits all over the system and my brief play with CS6 shows how useful this will be for disk caching in AE. I'm seeing drive speeds of 400Mb/s on read AND write.

With regards to your specific questions:

1. Yes HDMI output works for vision AND audio. This is pretty neat - especially as it's a standard HDMI connection, not some sort of mini adapter arrangement. BUT - brief tests I did with my Samsung HDTV showed juddering in panning shots. In other words - it's a great addition, but is no substitute for a video output device. I look forward to adding an AJA T-tap as well as testing output from the MXO2. Mirroring the desktop via HDMI worked well, as well as extending the desktop - much more sensible than using a DVI-HDMI adapter.

2. I installed FCP7 from a disk image I keep on a USB drive for installing FCS. This is a great way to speed up installation (I have 3 Mac Pros that regularly get scrubbed and cleaned) as it's much faster. However - I did do a disk based installation on a Macbook Air recently using Air Disk from the iMac in my office, and would think this would be a relatively simple alternative.

I'd also add another benefit. Although this machine is not as light as an Air (I have an 11") it's certainly lighter than the old ones, and after the riot shield of steel that was my 17" MBP, I'd have to say I'm pleased with the portability. Even the new-fangled fans are nicer - and rarely seem to kick in.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Paul Jones
on Jun 27, 2012 at 9:35:53 am

One more quick question on creating disk images of Final Cut Studio.
I am doing disk images as we speak for when I get the new Macbook Pro, but don't you run into the same problems where Lion won't let the installer run ?
I tried to install FC Studio onto my iMac running Lion and it wouldn't let me.

Thank you
Paul

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 27, 2012 at 10:15:34 am

Hi Paul

My method has been unchanged for a while - and I've never had a problem. So let's see if we're doing this the same way:

1. Insert FCS installer disk
2. Open disk Utility
3. Click on the DISK (not the drive) in the left hand column.
4. Select "New Image" at the top
5. Select destination to external drive or desktop. (I leave the settings as they are 'compressed' etc)
6. Wait for disk image to write.
7. Eject external drive and take to new computer. Insert drive, and browse to the desk image you created, and double click.

The image then mounts exactly as if you had inserted the disk. Anything on it can be installed exactly as if it were on the disk.

Sorry if this is exactly what you are doing - but I thought I'd lay it out in case it differs. Lion or not, I've never had a problem yet. I will admit, I don't bother imaging all the media disks for FCS these days, as I use AE for most graphics work, and can't stand Livetype etc.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Paul Jones
on Jun 27, 2012 at 12:20:18 pm

Thanks Ben...Yes that's the same as my process, maybe it's my iMac that has an issue.
Further to our conversation and your brilliant review, I went down to the covent garden Apple store this morning to look at the new Macbook Pros.
They couldn't show me FCP 7 running on a Retina Display but they did show me other non optimised software ( Photoshop, Word etc etc )
I wasn't as disappointed as I thought which has swayed me back to buying a retina display.
Knowing I won't be using FCP 7 forever I guess I must look forward.
All I have to do now is decide if it's worth buying the top spec model for loads of cash or not !

One thing I will have to purchase is a USB microphone for guide VO's
Can you recommend your one ?

Cheers

Paul

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 27, 2012 at 12:36:24 pm

Hi Paul

I have a Samson USB mike - but I can't really recommend it, and I use it infrequently. I hear good things about the Snowball mikes. Apple sell some in store - maybe ask to try one? Usually, we use a USB audio interface and a Coles lip mike to do voice-over in busy areas on outside broadcasts. I forget the name of the interface, but it has an XLR input and is inexpensive - I think it's an older version of the M-Audio mobile pre. If you get one of these, you can probably use existing mics....

As far as 'top spec' goes - the 2.7Ghz upgrade and 756Gb flash upgrades CANNOT be worth the extra cash - I cannot recommend either. I'm pleased with my spec -the 2.6 comes as standard with the 512Gb memory (and I've already filled 100GB with Applications) BUT DO UPGRADE to 16gb RAM. It's a must now for newer apps, and you CANNOT upgrade it later.

This may mean a 'custom' spec you can't get in the Apple store - but mark my words it will be the most popular spec with resellers. I get my gear from the excellent Jigsaw24 - and I expect they'll carry this spec in stock - when they can get them back in stock!

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 27, 2012 at 12:40:24 pm

[Paul Jones] "Can you recommend your one ?"

Big fan of the Blue USB mics.

I have a Snowball for scratch VO.

http://www.bluemic.com/snowball/

By the way, the retina does support the Apple headset in, maybe there's an adapter?

Return to posts index

Justine-Paula Robilliard
on Jul 25, 2012 at 1:39:18 pm

I came across this post today, from what I read it is possible to make an image of the FC2 disks?

I hope this is possible, using the disks are a problem for me....

Justine

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 25, 2012 at 2:17:14 pm

You can image any disk, yes.

Return to posts index

jesse Nettleton
on Aug 5, 2012 at 11:01:11 pm

I created a disk image but whenever i try and run the install it pops up an eror that says "you cant open the application "finalcutstudio.mpkg" because powerpc application are no longer supported." do you know the work around for that? just got my rMBP yesterday and im having trouble getting it set up do to this issue. any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Collucci
on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:21:21 pm

I am curious about what caused your HDMI output judder. Have you previously used that display as a client monitor without issue?

I ask because, it could simply be a matter of frame-rate compatibility with your monitor. In my experiences using mini display port > HDMI adapter outputs, I have never had a juttering issue from my MacBook Pro. If this is an issue of the hardware, then this is disappointing problem for a MacBook "Pro" to have. Especially since that HDMI output must exist for the exact purpose that you were using it for.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:47:53 pm

[John Collucci] "I am curious about what caused your HDMI output judder. Have you previously used that display as a client monitor without issue?"

No I haven't. I tested the Macbook at home, with my 46" Samsung series 7 LCDTV. I have a JVC 24" HD-SDI monitor I use for broadcast monitoring.

I couldn't call this a scientific test - but what I can say is that I left the TV set up how I use it with my Apple TV and Sat box - and the monitor settings in display prefs were set to 1920x1080 50Hz. The material was 1080i HD video.

I'm going to test the MXO2 tomorrow, and will compare the HDMI output from this with the laptop itself. I'll give it a more thorough testing and report back - but again, I can only try this on my own HDTV.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 28, 2012 at 12:19:42 pm

Further testing using my rMBP with my Samsung TV has failed to produce smooth motion on the HDMI output - I get some juddering frames. The same output in FCPX seems smoother.

Please note - this is not a scientific test. Your mileage may vary. Also, this is feeding external monitoring via the 'desktop preview' route - not via a video I/O device. There are 3 options - normal, full screen and 'raw' via HDMI. All show juddering.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 28, 2012 at 1:25:30 pm

[John Collucci] "I am curious about what caused your HDMI output judder. Have you previously used that display as a client monitor without issue?"

OK - few more test done now. I've successfully connected my Thunderbolt Lacie drive and MXO2 to the laptop. Output from the MXO2 via HDMI to my TV is smooth - no frames dropped.

Output direct via HDMI has juddering - whatever the settings. And yes - I've matched the TV to 50Hz with 50i material etc.

I'm going to post findings above.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Matthew Reynolds
on Jun 28, 2012 at 4:02:35 pm

I know some of the older MBPs had an audio in/out instead of 2. Does this one have the in/out, or just the out? I don't use it a lot, but it sounds like could be a small issue for a few things

Matthew Reynolds
Creative Director : Filmmaker
Photographer: Coffee Lover

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 28, 2012 at 4:51:57 pm

[Matthew Reynolds] "I know some of the older MBPs had an audio in/out instead of 2. Does this one have the in/out, or just the out? I don't use it a lot, but it sounds like could be a small issue for a few things"

The input that it claims to have is with the Apple headset (which I think is a 4 connection TRS, or tip, ring, ring, sleeve). So if you put the Apple headset in, it turns in to an input. I am not 100% sure on any of that, it's just what I can surmise from the tech specs.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Collucci
on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:34:01 pm

Awesome review! Thanks for taking the time to write it up for us.

I imagine the HDMI monitoring would be really nice, as I have already been doing that via a thunderbolt adapter, plus you can get a couple extra screens connected, although they will integrate oddly next to the retina display. (as an aside, I have tested my MBP with an iPad 3 as an additional monitor - its amazing, though differing pixel densities between displays is something to get used to)

Ben, that "bug" you mentioned is nothing new, or unique to the retina MBP. FCP has reacted that way for years, across several OSes when you change resolution. Must have something to do with the underlying QuickTime architecture in both OSX and FCP. So I wouldn't call that out as an issue at all. The crashing seems odd, but that just happens sometimes anyway, as we all know too well. Have to keep on eye on that.

For the record... I am jealous of that full res screen shot. I would push myself to use that full screen that way. I hate scaling my canvas, it's 100% size or an output monitor only. Too many problems can be missed otherwise.

One more note, I'm really surprised that you don't see scaling issues in "best for retina" resolution. I've seen some terrible samples of Photoshop in this configuration, which make the app unusable in my opinion.

Anyway, this is all exciting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

~j!

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 26, 2012 at 11:03:34 pm

Hi John

That's interesting about the bug - I suppose I have been using FCP7 for so long on Cinema displays and laptops where I NEVER change resolution that I was unaware of it. The caveat still holds though - you may find yourself playing around more with resolution than you did on any other Mac. I still can't decide what I prefer - the amazing text of the retina setting, or the increased space (and still relative sharpness) of the 2 scaled settings. Some applications suit some better than others.

As far as CS6 goes, quick tests opening AE and PS show clear differences in GUI text rendering. At Retina resolution, the text in AE is clear - whereas PS is fuzzy, like that bad Chrome rendering that was all over the web after launch.

However, switch to the 'scaled' setting, and it's much less apparent - even the one-scale-up of '1680x1050" equivalent makes it appear much sharper - although it's already quite small at this res.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 27, 2012 at 12:21:19 am

Thanks for the info Ben.

With regards to the bug, toggling external video on/off has always fixed it for me.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 27, 2012 at 12:47:57 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "With regards to the bug, toggling external video on/off has always fixed it for me"

Thanks Andrew - that does work, with the external video set to Main display, although I had to do it twice, once for the canvas, and once for the viewer.

I'm amazed I've used a piece of software for so long without seeing this - as I said, I never needed to switch resolutions before....

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 27, 2012 at 3:53:30 pm

I'm still yet to install the MXO2, but I can confirm that Avid Symphony works fine (it works in low resolution mode, and looks fine at higher scaled resolutions).

I'm slowly getting used to the idea of the rMBP. Unlike the 17" MBP, which only had one sharp resolution of 1920x1200, with small text everywhere, the massive resolution of this machine allows me to choose between several very sharp resolutions - depending on what I'm using. This is the reason Apple have removed the display 'resolutions' on the display options - really, it's just a matter of choosing what your size/space tradeoff is.

All the pictures of 'bad' apps (such as Twitter, which looks particularly soft at Retina setting) look better at higher 'scaled' resolutions. I really don't find anything 'unusable' at these settings. The amazing thing is that you DON'T SEE THE SCALING. I think that's the hardest thing to explain - when your only point of reference is LOWERING the resolution on a standard display.

I've spent some time in Retina setting, and whilst it initially looks like a small workspace, you quickly adapt to making the text smaller in retina apps, and enjoying the crisp text. Whilst I can't wait for all apps to be retina-ready, in the mean time, it really needn't give you concern at all.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

John Collucci
on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:03:45 pm

Ben, forgive me if you have mentioned this already, but I've been reading about this new option enabled on the rMBP for applications. If you get info on an app file, there is now a checkbox to disable HiDPI mode, or rather "Open in low resolution".

Have you tried this with FCP7? What is the default setting?

Apparently Apple, selectively, has already enabled/disabled the setting based on whether or not there are known issues with specific software in HiDPI (scaled-retina) modes. If "open in low resolution" isn't enabled for FCP7 by default, it still doesn't confirm a lack of issues, since FCP7 is no longer supported anyway....

I don't fully understand what the option even does... Here's the official FAQ from Apple, but as usual, they steer clear of getting too technical:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5266?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Any thoughts? Experiments to share?

Thanks for being our test subject!

~j!

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:41:43 pm

[John Collucci] "Ben, forgive me if you have mentioned this already, but I've been reading about this new option enabled on the rMBP for applications. If you get info on an app file, there is now a checkbox to disable HiDPI mode, or rather "Open in low resolution".

Have you tried this with FCP7? What is the default setting?"

Hi John

The box is greyed out for FCP7 - with 'low resolution' checked. This is the behaviour of apps that OSX does not deem retina- capable. I think it's safe to assume it won't ever be 'retina ready'.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

John Collucci
on Jun 27, 2012 at 7:53:18 pm

Ben,

I think the way that I found this issue was due to a screensaver that engaged its own resolutions settings. Definitely not from tinkering with te display settings while editing... Before the retina, I can't fathom why one would.

Return to posts index

Rebecca Barnes
on Aug 10, 2012 at 10:13:23 pm

Ben,

Thanks for the very thorough review. I'm in Macbook buying mode and still on the fence about moving forward with the 15" Retina or snagging the Oct 2011 17".

You do a few comparisons of FCP7 and FCPX on the Retina... My question is, did you have these two installed simultaneously? If so, what was the installation procedure? I'm currently editing in FCP6/Studio 2 on a G5, but for the next transitional phase I'd like a machine that can handle both FCP7 and FCPX. I've already bought Studio 3 and made images of the disks (though I can't install it on the G5) so that part won't be hard, but for FCPX, did you get it from the App Store? Before or after installing Studio 3? Does it have to be on a different partition than Studio 3? Is Compressor functional for both?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but it's hard to get a straight answer about this, and you sound like you know your stuff.

Thanks,
Becky

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:20:18 pm

Hi Becky

There's no real mystery with installing both FCP7 and FCPX. The issue is that both apps are called 'FCP', so it won't let you put both in the root of the Application folder without over-writing one. I have no idea why Apple thought this was a good idea, but...

... Good news - you don't need to set up seperate partitions or bootable volumes or any of the recommended 'safe' options. All you need to do is put whichever you install first in its own folder WITHIN the apps folder. I have done this both ways around with no problems : If you install FCS first, why not make a folder called 'Final Cut Studio' in your apps folder and drop FCP7, Soundtrack, etc in it. Now you can install FCPX from the App store. Otherwise, install FCPX first, then drop it in a folder called 'FCPX' you've created in the Applications folder.

In my own experience, and those of everyone else here, such as Shane Ross, there are no ill effects from running both versions on the same install. The only reason for maintaining dual-boots of OSX would be if different versions of the OS were recommended for different versions of FCP. However, up to 10.7.4 this is not the case - both run fine on Lion. Anecdotal evidence is that Mountain Lion is fine as well, but it will be a while before I make that leap.

Hope that helps!

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Cris Cazor
on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:07:35 am

Hi Ben,
I believe i´ve read all of your posts, but haven´t seen anything about Mountain Lion and FCP7 with MBP Retina Display.
Any updates on that, have you heard or seen anything?
I want to purchase your same MBP, perhaps with 16Gb RAM. So any inputs there as well??

Thanks for all your information.

Cris Cazor
cfssb.org
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:17:21 am

Hi Cris

I've been unwilling to update my rMBP whilst there were still clearly battery life issues with Mountain Lion. I read that 10.8.2 apparently fixes these, so I will most likely update once that is out. Anecdotally I hear FCP7 runs fine under ML, so I look forward to testing it soon.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Cris Cazor
on Sep 17, 2012 at 8:11:25 am

Hi Ben,

You´ve been really cool, I hope 10.8.2 fixes the battery issue, Im just waiting for every single info and update on everything, before i take the next step.

Thanks so much for your quick response and looking forward to hearing from you again with your tests.

Cris

Return to posts index

Melinda Binks
on Oct 22, 2012 at 1:34:37 am

HELP! Just cruised through these posts. I just bought a new macbook pro with retina and having difficulty getting my FCP 6.06 up and running. I just talked to an Apple Tech who said they were sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that FCP 6 and 7 won't run on the new machines with Mountain Lion. Is this true??

To make matters worse, I'm past the 14 day return period as the laptop came while I was out in the field on a shoot. I don't want to use FCP X.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:58:09 am

There is a good chance they're right about FCP6 - I think it's incompatible.

However, they are 100% wrong about FCP7. It runs fine on Mountain Lion. Anecdotally I'd say my rMBP is more stable than under Lion.

Get hold of a copy of Final Cut Studio 3 and install FCP7. And don't panic!

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Anja Hellem
on Feb 19, 2013 at 2:22:48 pm

Hey :)

I apologise if this question may have been answered further down on this page, but i dont have time to go through them all right now.

You see... i have just installed FCP7 in my new retina MBP and every time i try to drag the video from viewer over to the sequence my program crashes. It happens repeatedly, i can never get any further. Pls help me.

Anja

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Feb 20, 2013 at 12:17:08 pm

Hi Anja

I can't answer that - what version of FCP are you running, what OS are you running, and what codec video are you editing with?

All I can say is that with normal codecs at HD resolutions the rMBP is fine. If you are trying to do this, then I'd suggest you have a bad install.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Anja Hellem
on Feb 20, 2013 at 12:25:48 pm

thank you for your answer.

I use FCP 7.0.3 and the MBP retina 15" possibly DVC PRO HD

Return to posts index

Cris Cazor
on Feb 20, 2013 at 4:39:33 pm

Something similar happened to me yesterday, but I wasn't on the rMBP, just a regular MacPro tower. And happened when I tried changing the resolution of the screen whilst FCP was opened.
Coincidence? Bad Luck?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]