FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Res or Pro Res HQ MIxed Media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Leahy
Pro Res or Pro Res HQ MIxed Media
on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:46:33 pm

Hey Guys,

I shoot an web series using HPX370 and DSLRS in 1080/30. I have been using the Prores HQ codec for everything when ingesting to make an easy and multi cam edit in Final Cut Pro. However, it appears that ProResHQ only benefits the Panasonic and not the 7Ds which would be fine in ProRes. Since I am mixing media and need it to be in the same codec to do multi cam, do you all recommend using the Prores format as opposed to HQ and bringing the data rate down making it easier to manage, or keeping it higher with HQ? Speed is fairly important and I hate rendering but I'm just curious. I was always doing HQ, I just read that it wasn't the right format for DSLR.

Let me know please.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Pro Res or Pro Res HQ MIxed Media
on Jun 26, 2012 at 5:04:54 pm

[Terry Leahy] " I just read that it wasn't the right format for DSLR."
Who sayd so?
If, for example, you use 5DtoRGB (32b Chroma interpolation) to convert the Canon footage, Prores 444 would be the best option.j
The only thing that justify compression is band with and storage space constrains.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 26, 2012 at 5:33:30 pm

I said so, for one. DSLR is 8-bit highly compressed H.264. Using anything above ProREs 422, even with 5DtoRBG is overkill. ProRes HQ and up is for formats that are 10-bit to begin with.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Jun 26, 2012 at 8:46:15 pm

Right, I think I did read that from you Shane. Never saw 5DtoRGB, looks interesting. But I guess what I'm getting at is when mixing with DSLR, does it make the most sense to ingest and edit my sequences at DSLRs preferred codec rather than trying to have them work on an HQ sequence? I prefer to ingest at my sequence settings to prevent crazy amounts of renders.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 27, 2012 at 3:23:16 am

As long as they exist different options, they exist different opinions. That's good.

[Terry Leahy] "Never saw 5DtoRGB, looks interestin"
Is very interesting indeed.
When you goes from 420 to 422 or 444 you have to create new chroma samples and is not the same to just average values than to use an "intelligent" algorithm.
%DtoRGB do not looks only to the Chroma values, but uses the Luma too to make the interpolation.
To give you an analogy, with "speed changes", a plain conversion (FC, QT, Compressor). would be like using "Frame Blending"; "5DtoRGB", would be like using "Motion Compensation".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]