FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD to SD feature length dvd

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lydia Holt
HD to SD feature length dvd
on Jun 26, 2012 at 6:49:19 am

Hey all,

I have a client who wants a dvd of a fishing video he has made. The entire film is 147 mins long. I'm not 100% sure what he originally shot on or what frame rate but he has given me an uncompressed yuv 8bit file HD 1920x1080 for down conversion to DVD. The file is massive obliviously. So I have exported out an apple pro res SD file. Then compressed that in compressor using the presets for DVD's tweaking them slightly to maximize my bit rate whilst still fitting everything on the dvd.

I'm fairly happy with the quality but wondering if anyone knows a more sound method? I just started doing this as it made sense to me? But does anyone have any other advice for getting out A BRILL DVD

Cheers
Lydia

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HD to SD feature length dvd
on Jun 26, 2012 at 7:19:23 am

Sorry. I fell asleep just THINKING about a 147 min fishing video. 147 min of fishing? Wow. I enjoy fishing, but WATCHING fishing...dude...

Now, why are you going that extra step of compressing to ProRes SD, then using Compressor for DVD presets? That's compressing twice. Just bring the main file into Compressor and use the DVD presets on that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lydia Holt
on Jun 26, 2012 at 7:52:18 am

hahha yes tell me about it puts me to sleep on a daily basis!!!

The only reason I went down to the pro res file was was because the original file is 620gig. And the first time I tried to do it in compressor I left it over night and found it not even half down the next day. And The client has been asking for a couple of different test DVD's so to save time I did a smaller export out. And a friend advised me this would be a good way of doing it.

But Ill put another export on tonight in compressor and see how I go.

Cheers for your advice

Return to posts index

wayne kurtz
on Apr 29, 2013 at 2:41:36 pm

HI Lydia
Just wondering if you ever found the best method to convert? I do weddings and a 2 to 2.5 hours timelime is normal.
When working in SD I would use DL DVD and set compressor settings around 5.5 mbps and get great results.
I have ready Larry Jordan suggestions on line but the presets for pro res 422 produce a 38 gb converted file for 2 hours of media! I searched apple discussions and see that different apple pro res 422, HQ LT use various mpbs rate, but even Apple pro res proxy which converts 720 x 486 at 12 mbps results in a file too big.
The video frame rate window is shadowed out and does not allow me to make my own compression selection.
What did you use?
Thanks
Wayne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]