FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change clip properties AFTER multicam edit?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Press
Change clip properties AFTER multicam edit?
on Jun 26, 2012 at 12:11:35 am

FCP7: Is there a way to apply changes to a master clip AFTER it has been used in a multicam edit, so that I don't have to go through the whole timeline applying 'paste attributes' to every instance of that clip (like if I want to crop that master clip to cut out a boom mic in shot; or applying a 3-way colour grade)?

I know it's soooo much easier to do those 'global' changes to the clip BEFORE the multicam edit, but sometimes/often I don't notice the required change until after the multicam edit is complete (especially with colour grading--where there's only 3 clips, say in an interview (Interviewer; Interviewee; and twin shot), being able to apply the grade to the master clip so that it becomes applied to every instance of that shot in the edit, is what I'm hoping is possible??

Return to posts index

Gus Spelman
Re: Change clip properties AFTER multicam edit?
on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:40:52 pm

The only way I've found is sort of convoluted, but faster than applying attributes to every single instance--

For the clip you want to change, take the original, place it in a new sequence, and make the changes to it that you need. Then export the sequence, making sure that it is the same length as the original, with the same name as the original file. Place this new file in the folder where the original lies, move the original (don't delete it yet, until your sure this process has worked). Now the clip in FCP will reconnect with the new file, and voila!

This has worked wonders for me with out of sync sound. Not sure how it'll work with the color correct, but I imagine it'll be pretty much the same.

Return to posts index

Jim Press
on Jun 26, 2012 at 8:59:35 pm

Thanks Gus-- that's an excellent suggestion! I'm sure it would work for video too.

I started working on the sequence and remembered a slight time-saving method, where I click through each clip in the timeline, highlighting the target clips and paste attributes to a bunch of clips at a time (although you can only apply 1 attribute e.g. crop and NOT also filters (for example, a colour grade)--FCP only applies one attribute even if you check a number of boxes).

Return to posts index

Gus Spelman
on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:15:23 pm

Good call, Jim. I thought of that too, but didn't know whether you had other filters on the multicammed clips, since that method will apply them all. If you're just working with one, then that method would probably take about the same amount of time, and wouldn't permanently affect the clips, which is always a plus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]