FORUMS: list search recent posts

Client choosing time code for rough cut - Fastest method?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Accettullo
Client choosing time code for rough cut - Fastest method?
on Jun 25, 2012 at 9:07:54 pm

I have a client with 25+hours of raw documentary footage. He's not an editor but he wants to create an edit decision list for me so I can easily rough cut his documentary in FCP. My client is willing to help me and he has an IMac. In an effort to save time on this very long project, I need the quickest way to get this rough cut to the FCP timeline. And I know someone has done this before :)

The question is two fold.....

1) Should I have him use QuickTime player and submit to me written TC values? OR BETTER...

2) Is there a method of having him use say IMovie or another app/software that is basic enough for the non skilled that may make my job easier. I don't work with time code often enough to know what is best here and need a little advice.

Thanks in advance!!!

Bob Accettullo

Bob Accettullo Films
Boston

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Client choosing time code for rough cut - Fastest method?
on Jun 25, 2012 at 10:03:48 pm

iMovie doesn't do timecode...and doesn't work with a format that FCP does. It would be a very bad decision. Unless you are using FCX...in which case it and iMovie are best of friends! iMovie still doesn't work with tape timecode though. It's very consumer.

Have them write down timecodes on paper, or use Word...something. And then you manually locate the clips, type in the numbers, and assemble the cut. I do this all the time. I'm handed a script with TC numbers and I assemble the cut. Very typical workflow actually.

Or give them the footage and they get FCP (good luck finding it new) and do the rough cut on their own, then get you the project file.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:03:00 pm

[Shane Ross] "Unless you are using FCX...in which case it and iMovie are best of friends!"

LMFAO!
Next time warn me your going to say something that funny. Damn near had coffee come out my nose!

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:38:30 pm

How I handle this is to dub the raw tapes onto a stand-alone DVD recorder in real-time, with the deck's time code window burn feature turned on. I ask them to write the starting and ending time code and the first three and last three words for each cut they want.

Anybody can read/play a DVD. It's cheap, and you can put 6 or even 8 hours on one DDV if you don't mind a quality hit. I find 2-hour speed plays most universally from these machines, and nobody is going to sit thru a session longer than 2 hours anyhow:-)

Another feature of this method is that it weeds out the casual dabblers from the truly committed. They may *feel* they want to be more hands-on, but an hour into the time code logging, usually the weaker ones throw up their hands and just leave the whole thing to me. Which I tend to prefer anyway. But they had their opportunity.

When shooting in the field with a reporter, we use time of day time code, synched to actual clock time. Then, whenever the reporter hears something they know they are going to want, they write down what their watch says and it gets you in the near neighborhood, even if the shooter and reporter are nowhere near each other.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 26, 2012 at 5:29:07 pm

Hi,
I have used a modified version of Marks suggestion. The modification is to do some pre logging and cull whats obviously not useable. Sort and bin the footage into major categories, and then throw the contents of each bin into a timeline and make a TC window burn DVDs from those.

BTW, whatever work you do prepping a TC burn for client logging is on the clock, and billable.

Mark mentioned that some clients will fold under the workload. Another thing that happens is a lot of clients don't know enough to judge when shots with minor tech problems that can be fixed should be used. Or not.
Also most don't know how to add time, and usually over/under log when there is a fixed duration for the show.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Bob Accettullo
on Jun 29, 2012 at 4:18:15 am

Thank you, Shane, Scott, Mark. You have given me sound advice.
Presently my client has installed quicktime pro 7 and he is able to open the file and in the lower left corner you can view time code.
I'll use the DVD window burn feature in the future too. Now I'll have to figure out a smooth workflow when I'm given pages of time code numbers and clip names. My eyes are bleeding thinking about this one.
Thanks,

Bob Accettullo
Starlite Video Canton, MA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]