FORUMS: list search recent posts

Still Image Export with QT Conversion makes viewer or canvas darker when export window pops up, darker color shift appears in exported image

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Taylor
Still Image Export with QT Conversion makes viewer or canvas darker when export window pops up, darker color shift appears in exported image
on Jun 25, 2012 at 2:02:00 pm

Hello All

My recent post regarding FCP exporting still images that appeared to have a gamma shift in Photoshop, was met with not many replies, and the usual stock answer of checking everything on a Broadcast monitor. I don't work for Broadcast and usually output video for web, and don't think that this is the problem. The problem I am having is this:

When I choose File > Export > Using QT conversion. Both the Viewer and the Canvas momentarily shift in Gamma, a second or so before the export dialogues pop up. When I save the still out, as any format (JPEG, PSD, PNG, TIFF etc.) and finally click save, the Viewer or Canvas, revert back to their original Gamma.

When I open the still in Photoshop, the image has been saved with the gamma from the momentary shift, when the export dialogue pops up. Not the actual gamma on the timeline.

Although previous replies have pointed me in the direction of Broadcast monitors, and the fact that video has different color spaces, I really don't think that is the issue here. My arguments against this are:

a) I used to work solely in Premiere and the round trip of exporting a still from Premiere to Photoshop, would introduce no color shifting, So clearly it was not an issue that video has one color space and Still images another.

b) If I create a graphic for use in FCP with Photshop and bring it into FCP, the same color shifts don't happen when importing into FCP, again convincing me that it is not a color space issue.

c) AS mentioned above I am getting this momentary shift of gamma in the Viewer and Canvas when I export a still image. The shift being exactly the color of the still export I get when I open it in Photoshop.

This has been bugging me for days and now I have presented all the evidence I can to support the problem I am trying to solve.

If anyone knows a way to stop this temporary color shift on export, I would really appreciate it.

Regards

Matt Taylor

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Still Image Export with QT Conversion makes viewer or canvas darker when export window pops up, darker color shift appears in exported image
on Jun 25, 2012 at 2:58:21 pm

Is not about color spaces but gamma managing.

[Matthew Taylor] "a) I used to work solely in Premiere and the round trip of exporting a still from Premiere to Photoshop, would introduce no color shifting, So clearly it was not an issue that video has one color space and Still images another."
Adobe is able to manage it but QT doesn't.

[Matthew Taylor] "b) If I create a graphic for use in FCP with Photshop and bring it into FCP, the same color shifts don't happen when importing into FCP, again convincing me that it is not a color space issue."
FC NOW can properly manage Gamma.
But don't mistake FC with QT.
When you export using QT Conversion, FC does nothing, is QT who makes the conversion and produces the gamma shift.

I had the same problem a couple of days ago. i brought the clips to Photoshop and exported the stills from there.
instead of trying to fix QT, uses the tools you have to avoid the problem. If you have PP, do it from there.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Taylor
Re: Still Image Export with QT Conversion makes viewer or canvas darker when export window pops up, darker color shift appears in exported image
on Jun 25, 2012 at 3:25:06 pm

Thanks Rafael

That is the first genuine response that has shed any light on this issue that I have read on this subject. Makes much more sense. Still seems an awfully laborious task, after knowing Premiere can do this seamlessly.

Thanks so much again for you advice

Regards

Matt taylor

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 25, 2012 at 5:45:18 pm

This QuickTime problem has been around for a very long time... It's one of the reasons that Apple discarded it in FCP X. No longer a QT based app.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]