FORUMS: list search recent posts

Non-std sequence size

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Shappell
Non-std sequence size
on Jun 24, 2012 at 8:06:47 pm

I'm sure there's a simple solution to my problem or at least an explanation about it but I'm having trouble figuring it out...I have a sequence that has a non-standard frame size -- 506x444. The only thing I have in the sequence are JPG images as well as an aif audio file. I'm simply syncing up the jpgs to the audio track. When I add images to the sequence I can see them when the playback is paused. When I play the sequence I get the blue Unrendered screen in the canvas window. I first add my audio track and then when I drop in my first image I see the red needs rendering bar above the image. The problem is that when I select Sequence > Render All > Both - nothing happens - screen flashes but the red strip is still there and when I playback the sequence it shows the blue Unrendered screen.

Sequence settings:

Frame Size 506x444 Custom
Pixel Aspect Ration: Square
Field Dominance: None
Compressor: Apple ProRes 422 LT
Audio 44.1 kHz 16-bit (matches my imported aif)

Now, if I create a new sequence with a preset sequence setting - Apple PreRes 422 LT NTSC - and then drop in a JPG image I can see it in the canvas when I playback the sequence. But my image that's 506x444 is pilar-boxed.

I need my final movie to the be the same size as my images - 506x444 - and I need to be able to see the images in the canvas when playing back the sequence.

Any ideas? Sorry to be an ignoramous. Thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Non-std sequence size
on Jun 24, 2012 at 11:13:31 pm

Yes. Don't use FCP. FCP isn't designed to do what you are trying to do. FCP works with standard broadcast frame sizes only. Anything else and FCP will not behave properly. Either use a proper frame size and scale your images, or use a different NLE that does what you want...such as Adobe Premiere.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Shappell
on Jun 25, 2012 at 12:59:52 am

Thanks for the input - figured I would have to do that. Can you tell me though -- will Final Cut just not work with non-standard frame sizes? Is there something with the way it works that you can't render and view in the canvas for other than standard frame sizes?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 25, 2012 at 5:24:46 am

[Michael Shappell] "will Final Cut just not work with non-standard frame sizes?"

It will, but only if you really twist it's arm. Meaning do a whole lot of rendering. It won't deal with anything in real time. Every move will require a render.

[Michael Shappell] " Is there something with the way it works that you can't render and view in the canvas for other than standard frame sizes?"

Nope. FCP is designed to work with broadcast SD and HD formats. Anything that strays from that will be a struggle.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]