FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF files on same drive as scratch disk? Long form doc

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
connie Bottinelli
MXF files on same drive as scratch disk? Long form doc
on Jun 24, 2012 at 7:03:08 pm

Fairly new to FCP7. This feels like a real beginner question. Couldn't find an answer searching the forum.

Need a recommendation for managing a large amount of footage for long form doc. My 1TB ext hard drive is being filled fast. In the past I've off loaded my P2 cards to a 1TB ext hard drive, using that same drive as a scratch disk to log and transfer in FCP7 - keeping project file on my MacBookPro.

#1-Is this the best or CORRECT work flow for shorter pieces?
#2 - how should I set up work flow for this monster amount of footage for a long form doc? I've already started a project file (early on though) and I'm afraid to move anything to my other empty 2nd 2TB ext drive, that I'll screw up FCP's search for things.
#3 - Can I just move all the raw mxf footage to the 2nd 2TB drive and leave all the L&T footage on the original drive so I can continue to L&T the rest of it?

Of course I'm on a grant deadline for Friday. Other suggestions?

Any tips appreciated.
Connie

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: MXF files on same drive as scratch disk? Long form doc
on Jun 24, 2012 at 8:02:13 pm

For Final Cut I essentially live out of three folders:
• Projects - all projects are in their own folder here. I also keep ancillary files (graphics, logos) in here. It's easy to forget to backup those small files.
• Scratch - L&T media and render files go here.
• Completed Projects - exported QT moves go here. I find it handy to have one folder where completed things are located.

To your questions:

#1 - It's wise to keep your camera reels on a drive separate from your scratch drive. Right now all your eggs are in one basket. Hard drives will fail, and based on the workflow you've explained if your 1TB drive fails (mechanical, power surges, someone trips over a wire, corruption) you're in bad shape.

#2 - I would say have a drive for your MXF media from the camera. I would keep this detached from the wall and the tower, and offsite (fire, theft, etc) as possible. Log and Transfer (capture scratch) onto a larger 2TB+ drive. I would keep the projects in a "projects" folder on this drive. Put the autosave vault on your system drive.

With this setup if the large drive fails you can open the project from the autosave vault on the system drive and "recapture media" from your MXF drive and be up and going. If the MXF drive fails immediately purchase a new hard drive to backup your scratch drive, and back it up.

#3 - You can perform a finder-level copy/paste of your scratch to another drive. If Final Cut can't find the media it will show you a reconnect media box. Just point it to where you moved the files.

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Jun 24, 2012 at 10:25:41 pm

Jeff - thanks for the quick reply. Yep, don't like that eggs/basket idea. Applying your recommendations now. Going to move the mxf files to the other drive and leave the FCP folders in tact. I break out in a sweat when FCP wants to reconnect a lot of footage.

Thanks,
Connie

Return to posts index

Jessica Muth
on Jun 24, 2012 at 8:03:56 pm

I think it works either way, honestly. I always emphasize to actually house the footage that you're editing with on the main hard drive to avoid transfer restrictions via Firewire or USB; however, I think it is whatever is easiest for you and you can tolerate.

If your project is still early on and you want to transfer everything to another hard drive, then I would go ahead and do that and use the "Reconnect Media" option to have FCP reconnect everything. I would think after awhile of reconnecting the media that FCP would start to understand the pattern you are working with to reconnect it.

On the other hand, if you have already started a project, I would also consider leaving it as is and just work off that current hard drive and then hook up another hard drive if you need to for the remaining footage and just base your project off of those two hard drives. Once you have the final product outputted, if you want, then transfer everything to one hard drive.

I would say there isn't a "right" or "wrong" way for media management such as you are worried about; it is what is most efficient for the editor to create the video and output it in a timely manner. I would keep doing what you are doing and worry about managing it all after you have completed your project since you are under a tight deadline.

Jessica Muth
Production Operations Manager
Video Labs
Rockville, MD
301-217-0000
jmuth@videolabs.net

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Jun 24, 2012 at 10:36:21 pm

Jessica, Appreciate getting nearly instant replies on this forum!

Yes, I'm going with your additional external hard drives suggestion because I've got so much footage and another 7 months to shoot.

Thanks,
Connie

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 25, 2012 at 2:11:35 pm

[Jessica Muth] "I always emphasize to actually house the footage that you're editing with on the main hard drive to avoid transfer restrictions via Firewire or USB; however, I think it is whatever is easiest for you and you can tolerate."
Sorry to disagree.
Your system HD has enough with reading the very system and the application, plus all the virtual memory.
If on top of that have to read a few threads of footage, you are clogging your HD.
They have only one magnetic head.
By rule of thumb, the media always on another HD.
If you can use RAIDS, even better.
Faster access to media and faster transfer speed.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jessica Muth
on Jun 25, 2012 at 2:25:50 pm

I agree with you as well, Rafael; however, how we have it set-up here, it is more efficient for us to actually use the internal storage from the computer than external hard drives. We have experienced terrible playback issues if we try to keep the original files housed in an external and rely on Firewire and USB for the transfer. You can never trust it and if something becomes ejected in the middle of a transfer or playback, you have to start over. That is the best solution we use here, hence I suggested it. But I guess it is dependent on what is most efficient for the end-user.

Jessica Muth
Production Operations Manager
Video Labs
Rockville, MD
301-217-0000
jmuth@videolabs.net

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 25, 2012 at 3:35:52 pm

[Jessica Muth] "external and rely on Firewire and USB for the transfer."
Jessica,
USB has never been an option for FC. Not even for DV.
Although the transfer speed is closed to (theoretical) 400mbps of the FW-400, the transfer rate has many peaks so is not as stable.
Sure is better using the internal HD better than an external USB device, but this doesn't makes recommendable to use the system Hd for media storing.
Working with any kind of HD material, the minimum requirement is FW-800. eSATA better.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]